Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Pulse 2016: Week 3

Welcome to the 6th edition of The Pulse - a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, further your own artistic expression, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. Stay tuned for a new post every Wednesday and see all previous posts in the series here.

-------------------


What is the one technique or tool that you cannot live without?

Paper and junk mail. I can almost salivate over papers. Whether using glue sticks in journals or gel medium... I can't live without papers.

Water soluble crayons from Caran d'Ache. Sometimes I use them to create a wash of colour, sometimes to add bold opaque colour over another background. I love the way I can use them over rough surfaces to create great texture.

Paper weaving within my collage work is the technique I can't live without. The physical weaving process is meditative. Using this technique, I can relax into the piece and allow the found objects to truly speak and guide my work.

I have an endless supply of cheap paperer painting, experimenting, cutting, ripping... anything that I want to try. My painted pages often get cut into shapes that I use when I make cards. I flip the paper over, draw shapes on the back and cut them out. This "cutting blind" prevents me from just using the best parts of my decorated paper.

The technique has to be distress, the build-up of layers to show age and decay, either with subtle soft colours that remind you of faded wallpaper or heavy rust colours and textures. All of which have to be touched!

Annette Bouchey 
Old books, covers from these books and pages for altering books, making journals and assemblages on boxes.

8 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

AWESOME work!!!

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

Thank you so much for posting my collage "Pulp" to The Pulse. It's great to be included with such inspiring work! Thanks :-)

elle said...

Whoa! Serious inspiration on this one, Seth!!!

Indira said...

Very interesting to read about what artists cannot do without!

Stephanie said...

thanks for a great set of artists!

Irene Rafael said...

I find it inspiring to see how other artists create. Thanks for the forum!
~~ Irene

Jo Murray said...

Great links here...an endless amount of inspiring techniques.

Frances said...

Enjoyed the view. Thanks for sharing.