Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Pulse 2016: Week 2


Welcome to the 6th edition of The Pulse - a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, further your own artistic expression, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. Stay tuned for a new post every Wednesday.

-------------------


What is the one technique or tool that you cannot live without?

Venetian plaster. I discovered it about 9 years ago and never looked back. There are a few other tools that I love but this tops the list.

Palette knives. I use them to mix and blend paints, mediums and more. I build up texture in layers and use them as mark makers in my mixed media work.

Stitch. Stitch can be a mark making device, it can hold layers together to be an embellishment. Stitch can be real by the use of thread or implied by painting/drawing.

My awl. As a compulsive bookbinder, I get the shakes if I do not have it by my side and at the ready. You can make a book with just about any materials but when it comes to binding, if you don't have the useful awl, forget it. It is not the prettiest of crafting tools, but it is tops in my book.

Watercolors. I must use watercolors everyday in a wash, glazing or wet on wet techniques. This process also includes line quality with black ink.

Clearsnaps ColorBox Fluid Chalk Inks - specifically their Cat's Eyes. Seriously I dread the day they decide to stop making them. I use them on virtually every piece on the outside edge, as a frame; to distress or add a touch of color to cut out text; and always with stencils. It is my go-to ink.

-------------------

If you would like to be a participant in The Pulse, please email me (shap97@gmail.com) the following:

1. Your response (which I might need to edit to keep all answers relatively consistent in length)
2. ONE photo that somehow relates to your answer
3. A link to ONE of your online sites

If you would like more Pulse, check out my books from North Light Media: The Pulse of Mixed Media and The Mixed Media Artist.

9 comments:

NANCY LEFKO said...

Thank you, Seth, for including me and my art in "The Pulse." It's always great to peek inside other artists' heads. Thanks for all you do to add to the art world.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Thanks for sharing my ART and favorite tool!
YOU are the best, Seth.

Debi Adams said...

It is always so nice to see a variety of artistic styles and interpretations all in one place. Much appreciation for taking the time to showcase these great artists.

layers said...

It is always interesting to see what tools other artists use... venetian plaster sounds intriguing..

Miss Iowa said...

I am really enjoying this series and the wide variety of answers! Thank you for these posts and to everyone who has submitted an answer.

Annie said...

Seth, I so appreciate you and how you help artists to get the word out about their work. Thank you for including me! Great to read about what other artists are doing. xoxo

trent999 said...

I only found your site a couple of weeks ago and I have been thoroughly enjoying it. I am so glad I discovered The Altered Page xx

Jackie PN said...

Wow! So many great artists here at the Pulse! and a few of my favs including Darlene, Sue and Nancy- all in one place- excellent!!

elle said...

These are great reminders to freshen up the ol' tool box!