Monday, October 27, 2008

Black & White & Red All Over

I found New Mexico to be at once both colorful and stark. There is so much color to be found in the artwork throughout the towns of Santa Fe and Taos, in the Santa Fe sky at sunrise and sunset, in the muted, washed-out adobe walls, and in the bright saturated hues of shutters, doors, and lights on the homes. In contrast, there is so much stark landscape outside the towns. Pale grasses, dry desert, rocky mountains, and piƱon-juniper covered hillsides. I wanted both of these diverse feelings to be evident in my travel journal. The colorful side is reflected in my visual journal. The more austere side is reflected in a second journal. Black and white pages. A hint of red, to capture the energy and life still obvious amidst the starkness. Text capturing the memories of an inspiring adventure. Pages are a work in progress. Click to enlarge.






11 comments:

azirca said...

Wow..this is very cool! I love the style that you have going on, it reminds me of a detective's notebook where all kinds of observations are noted and anything of interest is jotted down.

SUZAN BUCKNER said...

I love your style too!! Man, you rock at journal pages!!

I can't seem to want to journal anymore. I think you may have inspired me though!

Gillian McMurray said...

These pieces are stunning. The black and white is always effective but the little bit of red just adds that bit extra. They are like the kinds of text you would find in the bottom of an old set of drawers, like old police reports.

Leslie said...

I like the look of these black and white pages. Did you handwrite your text or print it? I really like the paper you chose too.

Chris said...

Isn't it great that you got to New Mexico near Day of the Dead, with all the colors and vibrancy! I am working on a canvas and noticing how unlike me it is to be saturated and bright with my colors even though I love color. It's like training in a whole new medium. Love these pages as well as the others. I want both journals!

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

very cool.

lynne h said...

i love these seth... also the pages in the previous post. this will be a beautiful and special book when it's done...

Jazz said...

I love this. Despite being text, it's still very visual.

bindu said...

The pages look like b&w adobe walls - nice effect. I like the way you incorporated a little visual essence of Santa Fe in the first two with the chili pepper and the design.

Maj said...

Very intrigueing! Looks great! And I like your choise of what looks like cast paper.

Anonymous said...

A journal with less concern for the visual, more for the content.
Wow, imagine THAT!!??

Looks like there's a high possibility of The Real Thing here. A return to the written word is refreshing.

Write on.