Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Frieze New York 2018

Continuing our journey through recent art events in NYC, this past weekend I ventured to  Frieze New York190 galleries from 30 countries brought their finest contemporary and modern art to "the tent" on Randall's Island. Yesterday I shared work from Hannelore Baron, my favorite at the fair. Today is more of a general share.

A view from the outside

A view from the inside

The grey floors and the white walls, ceilings and booths were a sharp contrast to the color coming from a number of galleries 



In looking at my photo roll, I see that I was attracted to primarily abstract, non-representational mixed media. No shock there.

El Anatsui



Subodh Gupta



Shin Sung Hy



Minjung Kim




Kwang Young Chun



Leonardo Drew



You can see more of Drew's work from a 2015 exhibition I visited and posted about here.

Sterling Ruby


Several abstract figures caught my eye, the first from 1955 and the second from 2018.

Cameron



Tracey Emin


And the award for the biggest artwork - literally - goes to Robert Therrien at Gagosian for his bigger than life folding table and chairs priced at $1.5 million.


6 comments:

ann barnes said...

wow, that was certainly a feast for the creative soul! so many interesting pieces. can't even begin to imagine where one comes up with the idea for creating a larger than life table and chairs... again, thanks for sharing this amazing art with us!

audrey said...

Amazing! How I would love to walk through that gallery and feel the art... touch it. It begs to be touched. Probably not permitted, but I would sure be tempted. I love the color, the texture, the thinking outside the box. Stunning pieces! Thank you for sharing, Seth. It sure inspired me and I am aching to create.

Unknown said...

Thanks Seth for showing this to us all.
I think I am growing old. I would not have one piece of it on my wall even if I got paid for it. Sorry.

Cathy Parlitsis said...

Thanks so much for sharing that, Seth! They're all so beautiful! I want to TOUCH them! LOL!

catherine said...

Wow Seth these pieces look amazing ! Thanks for the walk through !!!!!!
catherine

A Pink said...

Thanks for sharing, Seth . Really enjoyed viewing so many talented artists work. x