Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Goodbye to The Altered Page

Welcome to 2019. And to my last official post on The Altered Page. 2018 was a year of change for me and that theme will continue into the new year. Wasting no time, the first change starts now.

My online life started on August 10, 2007 when I uploaded my first post to The Altered Page. Back in the day, long-form blogs were the way to go. The only way to go. People had the patience to read, many supportive comments were left and responded to, and a community was born. Some of my strongest artist friendships began in those early years and continue to thrive today.

But, as we all know, social media continued to develop and micro-blogging sites began to become popular. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram - to name a few - started to change the face of the online community and make social exchanges more user-friendly and speedier. Why read 5 paragraphs and click through to leave a comment when now you could simply see a picture and click thumbs-up?

I have come to embrace the quick forms of social media in my life as an artist as they allow me to connect with my community while not taking all my time away from actually creating. Seems like many other people agree as more and more long-form blogs have been neglected and closed. But at the same time, I continue to love the depth and breadth that my blog was designed to encouraged. And truthfully, I have always found that I came to truly know people via blogs in a way that has never been equaled by FB or IG.

So what's a guy to do? Why not keep both?

And I am. But not here.

I have made the decision to move my blog to my website and drop the name The Altered Page. This has not been an easy choice but it came down to one simple concept: control. With so many constant changes to the algorithms of many social media platforms, it seems like years of work in developing a community can come crashing down in an instant. For example, it took me many years and much effort to create a Facebook Business Page with 14,000+ followers. But it seems like it only took Facebook one minute to change the algorithm so that only a fraction of a fraction of my followers now see any of my posts. Not going to chance that on my blog. Combining it with my website gives me, and only me, the choices.

While I may lose a good number of followers in the transition, you know what? I am ready to be Seth Apter online rather than The Altered Page. Truthfully, I cannot even remember how I came up with that name except for remembering that all my first choices were already taken!

Hoping that whenever you find this post, you will take the time and take a chance to head over to my new blog. Maybe even have a read and, if you are so moved, to follow along on my continuing adventure by receiving each new post in your inbox. And, since we know nothing ever disappears from the Internet, if this is your first visit to my old blog, maybe stay a while and see what happened over the last 11+ years.

And no matter where your next click takes you, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for making my journey in art so fun, exciting and satisfying.

13 comments:

peggy gatto said...

I have enjoyed all your inspiration! Happy new year Seth!

Gwen Lafleur said...

Yes. I've been thinking of doing something similar for more than a year now, and for many of the same reasons. You may have just inspired me to finally make the jump. Good luck!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My friend Scott keeps telling me I should ditch the google that I hate, and get my own site. But I have too much invested in it, so for the time being, I'm staying where I am. Will you be keeping this blog open?

Also, since you gave me permission to add this blog to my left sidebar, may I do so with your new one?

Happy New Year, Seth.

Ruth said...

Happy New Year Seth and after slight oh no where are you going? ...Phew! Yes I’m aware the times are a changing and I don’t get around blogs the same....Going to hop across now though to your new site.

Nikki Acton said...

Oh go on then! HNY Seth - hoping to be less quiet in 2019 - although I am still very out of love with social media!!!

Roberta Warshaw said...

I am sorry to hear that but I totally get it. I have enjoyed reading all your posts over the years. But It is time consuming to say the least and we don't need any more distractions as artists! See you on FB and Instagram!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Good luck and happy new year.. Thank you for sharing your talent and inspiration!!

Redanne said...

I totally get why you would want to do this. Even my little blog has seen a decline in visitors/comments but my Facebook page has seen a dramatic increase. I do appreciate that most people do not have the time to read blogs and comment, but I can't help feeling a little sad all the same.... I think it is called 'progress'!? I certainly don't want to miss any of your posts so I have signed up over there. Wishing you much happiness and success in 2019 Seth. Anne x

Fliss said...

Thanks for letting us all know about the move of your posts Seth and totally understand the reasons behind it.
I actually struggle to keep up with everything these days and the FB algorithm doesn't help with seeing everyone's posts which is not great.
Wishing you all the best for the new year and have just signed up too so I don't miss any more posts.
Fliss x

Kathy Bricker said...

Of course I will follow over to the new site, but I will say that I do miss the long-form blog and am hopeful that you will continue it in some form there. I like the ability to flesh out ideas and respond in kind. FB has it's place and I do appreciate it, but many are leaving that forum now as well. To me FB is more like a quick wave and chat at the market, while a blog is a relaxing discussion over coffee, tea or a nice glass of wine. It's good to have both!

Louisa Ellingham said...

I just found this page again and now you are leaving! I have often been drawn to your blog through some connection or another, but I've been spending a lot less time on the computer to follow my own artistic meanderings. Anyway, just a note to let you know how much I appreciate people like you who put so much effort into an "art forum". I will certainly seek out your new site.
Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Hi Seth, Happy New Year! I will follow you wherever you go! Thanks so much for blogging for as long as you did on The Altered Page. I know that many of your groupies will follow your new forum. I'm looking forward to your new releases coming soon. Have fun at Creativation. I'll see you at The Ink Pad in February!

Hugs, Maria.

donna joy said...

have enjoyed many years of inspiration through your blog-it's sad to see so many go-they were great in their "heyday." I know i pretty much abandoned mine. I blame instagram-my addiction. Look forward to your new chapter. and yes, we all hate algorithms.