Sunday, August 5, 2012

It's Still Life: Chapter 10


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File, Techniques & Tools, and Master Class were the first three projects posted and links to all these posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The fourth project, It's Still Life, continues now...


Participants were asked to photograph a still life that you create using an array of objects.
-----------------------------
Brian Kasstle

Rebeca Trevino
"After my father passed away, I found, among other things, a bucket of marbles in his tool shed. As a little girl, he and I would often go for long walks. On these walks he would always find 'things' like marbles, or keys, or coins. I remember that he would pick up these things, look at them closely and wonder out loud about who might have lost such a treasure. I never knew what he did with these things, but years later, here they all were, right where he left them."


Trudi Sissons
"I felt compelled to use this image - it was such a magical moment! And at first glance...'a still life'"

Kim Logan
"This is an image I took at an exhibition in London at the Haywood gallery last year. It is Ernesto Neto: The Edges of the World. An incredibly inspirational and engaging artist melding sculpture with architecture in a fascinating way."

Ange
"I can't 'organise' a still life. I have them around me all the time comprised of objects that are casually discarded, or placed down haphazardly because there is usually something more pressing to attend to elsewhere."

Lisa Scadron
"Other Worlds II"

Deb Eck
"Eggs! My current obsession!!"

annie!
"A still life that I've created using objects...in this case a tablecloth and an eyeglasses case."

Jacquelyn Long

Pat Pintingolo


-------------------------------------------
Next "It's Still Life" will be held on Sunday, August 12th.
This will be the last in the 'Still Life' series.


11 comments:

sf said...

It's viscerally fascinating to find visual connections between the seemingly disparate still lives of artists who may or may not have met, may or may not ever meet...

bohemiannie! art said...

Very cool 'still lives'. I had forgotten what I'd submitted. :) I'm in great company here. Thanks again Seth!

Maria Avila said...

Thanks Seth. This picture was taken in USA, when I was living there in Sweet Home, Oregon. Beautiful leaves. We don´t have this tree, Maple tree, in Brazil.
I love that. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Seth for a visual treat - like Annie I had forgotten what I had submitted. Although, the eggs are back on their shelf and I am back to my paper obsession at least for now!!

Lynn Cohen said...

I love them all...but the thread rolls really spoke to me. It's time to start sewing again.

Unknown said...

Really inspirational - I too love the thread rolls, but the bird "still at the moment life" made me smile!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Two of my favorite artists, Rebeca and Brian are featured today. I'd say this final Still Life is the perfect finish!

The Creative Beast said...

A new follower due to the influence of Orly Avineri and Brian Kasstle and I can see that I will find a wealth of inspiration at this blog =-)

I'm off to peek at the previous editions of The Pulse now!

Bill said...

As always, it is so fascinating to see everyone's take. I love the egg shells with the words glued inside. What a concept! I also love the jar of marbles. It made me smile.

Jill Zaheer said...

How ironic that I always find your still life post moving!! Threads and Eggs are it for me!

Jo Murray said...

A motley assortment indeed. Interesting to see what each person chooses to illustrate their idea of 'Still Life'