Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Arboreal Deal


Julie from The Land of Lost Luggage is hosting an online collaboration called Getting Arboreal: A Nature Collection. For this project, participants will be documenting the journey of a tree from Summer to Fall/Winter to Spring. You can read more about the collaboration and see the links to all participants in this post.

I jumped on this one. First because of my love of nature and second because it seemed so simple. But I still had to pick my tree.

I thought about using my tree from grrl + dog's Global Guerrilla Knit-Up...but I realized that the other trees would be jealous if I chose this tree twice.


I thought about using the most famous tree from New York City, the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. But then I realized that the only time I could post was in winter!


It occurred to me that I could use a tree from one of my art pieces. Oh yeah...that wouldn't change with the seasons at all unless I subjected it to another Disintegration Collaboration!


Then I remembered a great piece of graffiti art that I shot a while back in NYC. But I know that is long gone.


I thought about this amazing tree I had seen on a pathway in Greece. But for some reason I didn't think that Julie would be willing to fund two trips back to Athens for this project!


So I decided to look in my own backyard and find a tree in Central Park. I thought this was perfect, especially given the fact that over 500 trees were lost last week in a storm. But with over 4 million to choose from, how to pick one? Well as you can see below...I didn't!


This is a grove of trees from Bethesda Terrace, one of my most favorite spots in Central Park. In the foreground you can see Bethesda Fountain and its sculpture, the Angel of Waters, designed by Emma Stebbins in 1873.



I am already looking forward to seeing this scene in November for the next installment in Getting Arboreal.

31 comments:

Julie Prichard said...

So many trees so little time...... are you going to be able to shoot from Bethesda Terrace for the other two views? I LOVE IT!

MrCachet said...

Have you ever read "Leaf By Niggle", written by J.R.R. Tolkien? If you haven't, you should. It's about the artist Niggle. I'll tell you no more. And there's a piece of mail on it's way to you. Expect in Friday...

MrCachet said...

Expect IT Friday. I don't know how to use the preview button.

Umā said...

Bethesda Terrace is one of my favorite places on earth. I can't wait to see the autumn view. I may be the only person in the Berkshires who longs to head to the city to leaf peep.

Umā said...

Btw, did you remember if you shot that graffiti around St. Mark's place? I think I have a photo of the same piece somewhere!

femminismo said...

"The Angel of Waters" is beautiful! Holy Moley! What a lot you have to choose from and thanks for the news alert that trees were lost in Central Park. I hadn't heard that, but I've been out of the loop lately. I will pick a tree and get on the list.

ooglebloops said...

i MIGHT HAVE TO LOOK INTO THIS AND PICK A TREE................LOVE YOUR CHOICE!

nancy neva gagliano said...

you're funny!!

well, i of course thought of MY ARCH, but i've done that..except for when it's covered with snow. it's really not a TREE, anyway.
sooooo, tree picking. rode by an orchard laden with red apples today.....but, too far away.

Lost Aussie said...

Great idea..pick the whole Park!..well why not!

Karin Bartimole said...

Your tree choice is one I'll look forward to seeing the changes of Seth. I was chuckling throughout your post, reading through all your options. You are so thoughtful, taking into consideration the sensitive nature of surrounding tree's jealousy!!
I'm going to check out this collaboration - thanks for the heads up.

Bea said...

Hmmm, like a choir of trees. :)Bea

Poetic Artist said...

As always you have so many choices.
Then you choose the entire Park. LOL>
Sounds like another great adventure.
Katelen

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

That knitting tree was the first thing I ever saw on your blog. Nice to see it again. I like that photo of the graffiti tree too...wow! Your chose of tree is interesting,it looks so exotic and nothing at all like anything in my backyard!

lynne h said...

seth, i'm *so glad* you didn't choose your knit-up tree! surely the other trees would've thought that was just too much!

a grove, sigh... the perfect choice for a tree lover...

judibel said...

Lovely idea. But sounds familiar. Now where have I heard of this one before? Hmmm.

Jill said...

Love to come to your blog- it's always an adventure and this one is no exception! Gee, didn't want to select our Global Guerilla Knit tree? Mr Tree said that he was so honored for the other project that too much fame would gentrify his habitat- so he's glad he wasn't chosen! But, super selection of Bethesda Terrace. What a creative, joyful, beautiful and inviting spot to watch!

Karen Cole said...

It's great to see what your choices were. Always creative, no matter what the subject.

Diane said...

How grand of an idea Seth, and I love your post documenting your search for the perfect tree!
Awww, and then there was the angel =)

The Weaver of Grass said...

I want to see that view with ice on the lake, Seth - so keep taking the photographs.

Chris said...

Excellent choice!

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

I think this might be a doable thing for me, I will pick a tree soon!

elk said...

trees ...such a work of art in their own right!...actually featured in a post this day...

Leslie said...

What a fantastic idea! I'm running over there.

Curio said...

Seth, this is a beautiful concept you brought to our attention. In checking out The Land of Lost Luggage I was sad to see I missed the date for the first photo. I did something similar one year by taking a picture of a maple tree at each of our 4 seasons. Still it will still be nice to see the trees people photograph!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

great tour of so many special trees Seth AND the Central Park pics really make me long to visit NYC! It will be fun to track this project!

Anonymous said...

i'm quite excited for this one. i had picked out my tree but since it's two hours away i have swapped it to a new, closer one. can't wait to see yours!

RosieK said...

Fantastic post Seth and what choices!! Great idea and I wish I could join in but I am off travelling for a few months in November - more of this will follow on my blog - will look forward to following your TREE!

Anonymous said...

All wonderful photos. Looking forward to further visits to your tree.

Commuter's Journal said...

What a wonderful spot, Seth! Can't wait to see it through your lens for the other installments.

mansuetude said...

the other trees would get jealous... that line made me so happy! tempting idea, what tree to pick... hmmm.

a beautiful spot!

Julie Prichard said...

Just a reminder that the Getting Arboreal: A Nature Collection is up for an update next week. Try to make a post with both your original tree photo and your new tree photo and leave me a comment so I can update the links. Hope to see you then!