Sunday, December 4, 2011

Technique & Tool: Chapter 11


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File was the first project posted and links to all 12 posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The second project, Techniques & Tools, the second project, continues now...


Participants were asked: 'The one technique or tool that you cannot live without is... ' I have added links of my own choosing to each contribution below, sometimes to products, sometimes to videos, sometimes to the artist's own work, and sometimes to something unexpected. Even the contributors do not know what I will be linking to!
----------------------------------------------
Angela Cartwright

That would be a pencil and paper...(does that count as one? They go together like sugar and spice). There is always something to sketch, and I feel like I'll be using these two items till the day I die.
----------------------------------------------
Roxanne Evans Stout

I love using a process of layering of photographs, original art and paints. And what ever else that seems to fit into my projects. I love to use metal pieces as well, and to twist wire in interesting ways. I like to sew pieces together with wire instead of always using glue and the way metal makes my art feel heavier and strong.
----------------------------------------------
Dawn DeVries Sokol


A black .05 tip pen, such as Micron.
----------------------------------------------
Sharmon Davidson


It might be cheating here, but I have to say it would be paper...and my press. All my work is on paper, it's the primary material for printmaking and collage, and I love everything about it, including the precious trees it is made from. But since most of my work starts with monotype as a foundational base, I have to include my press, because for me the two are inseparable.
----------------------------------------------
Pat Pitingolo


Liquid or gel matte medium.
----------------------------------------------
Victoria Crowder Payne


Embroidery over Lyra Watercolor Crayon painting (on unbleached, unwashed muslin).
----------------------------------------------
Marion Bockelmann


Stamping! It's so versatile and can be done in soooo many different ways and styles that it never gets boring; in fact it gets more interesting the longer you do it and the more stamps you have. You can even use your stamps to get texture in your layers of gesso, UTEE or beeswax.
----------------------------------------------
Rhomany


I don't know what I would do without a waterproof black pen. It was my first tool working in my art journal all those years ago and it still serves me today for my artwork and art journaling. My pens of choice are the Uniball Pin pens. For all my illustrations I use a 0.05mm which gives a very, very fine, broken line that looks like dark pencil and contrasts well with the bright colours I like to use.
----------------------------------------------
Debrina: Debbie Price-Ewen


Layering: for depth it is everything!
----------------------------------------------
Robert Stockton


As am intermediate step in creating my mixed media work, I create monotypes by rolling-out, or brushing, acrylic paint onto a glass plate. I then press drawing paper (frequently, Rives BFK) to the plate's surface, and "pull" prints off the plate which can be left "as-is" or modified, or altered, in any number of ways. The resulting monotypes have many applications in my work.
----------------------------------------------
This is the final post in the "Techniques & Tools" series from The Pulse. Join me at The Altered Page next Sunday, December 11th with a brand new series. Stay tuned...

12 comments:

Raylee said...

hi seth, thanks for showing all these amazing artists.

MrCachet said...

Once again, thank you for being so generous with your time.

elizabethanne said...

thanks for featuring Angela Cartwright! I have four of her small art pieces on the wall of my Writing Room, and they bring me much joy.

rivergardenstudio said...

Seth, I love what you have done here, adding links to older posts that show the artists work, I have looked at them all...twice! And thank you for including me here. I am very honored!You are so full of great Ideas.

Roxanne

*jean* said...

such a nice series, seth...thanks so much

Lisa said...

Many thanks Seth! This series is so interesting as it has introduced many new artists and techniques that were not familiar to me.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Always enjoy these posts. Love to see what tools inspire others. Thanks, Seth.

Jo Murray said...

Techniques and tools has been great Seth. I'm interested to know what your next project will be.

jilly said...

Congrats on such a super chapter 11 Seth! Great way to end your Technique and Tools section. Will now take a stroll through everyone's blogs!! Thank you!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Seth, thank you for including me with this group of amazing artists. The 'technique & tool' series has been illuminating in many ways; I've enjoyed every post.

Julie Prichard said...

Staying tuned! These are great posts...one of my favorite Pulse Series'... love to check out all of the supplies.

Artsnark said...

Always a pleasure - thanks for the fun links!