Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Call for Entries

I am so happy to be able to tell you that my online collaborative project The Pulse has been picked up by F+W Media and will be published as a book by North Light Books. The working title is “The Artist’s Pulse” and the tentative publication date will be in Spring 2012. All four of the online editions of The Pulse have been based on surveys in words and images of the online artist community. The book will have the same basic premise but will also be expanded into additional, new directions as well.

The premise of the book is to “take the pulse” of the online artist community that loosely falls under the category of mixed media. This will be accomplished through a series of projects that include both questions and answers as well as the presentation of artwork created specifically for the book. While the book will include practical, art-related information, it will primarily focus on more personal and provocative issues. In the end, I hope to provide the readers with a window into the creative hearts and minds of the participants and offer a snapshot of the state of our community today.

I am announcing a call for entries for the book. To have your work considered for inclusion, please carefully read and follow the instructions below. Please note that you do not have to complete all the projects described below to be considered for inclusion. Think of the following as a menu for you to choose from.

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS: Please answer the following eleven questions. While I would prefer that you respond to every question, you have the option to answer one, some, or all. Please err on the side of responses that are too long rather than too short. But please be aware that some editing for length may be necessary to maintain a degree of consistency among different artist responses.

1) One thing I have never shared with the art community is…
2) Have you ever lost a friendship over art?
3) What is your secret dream as an artist?
4) Have you ever received artwork from others and reworked it to make it your own?
5) What is one current trend that you wish would go away?
6) In your opinion, is creativity built-in or learned? Or both?
7) How has the Internet changed your artistic practice?
8) Do you think creative types are moodier than those with less artistic inclinations?
9) Do you enjoy working more intuitively or by carefully thinking through your process?
10) Do you create art to work through inner issues or is studio time more of a distraction to keep from facing your problems?
11) What do you think your preferred art medium says about your personality?

Deadline for submission for the Questions & Answers section is November 30, 2010.

ARTWORK: I am asking for submissions of new artwork to be created specifically in response to the three prompts below. Again you have your choice of creating artwork for one, two, or all three statements. Feel free to create without restriction as to medium and/or dimension. For each piece that you submit, please include a title, the dimensions, and the list of materials used. In addition, for each piece you need to include text that explains the artwork and describes your response to the prompt.

1) Share a secret as expressed in an artwork.
2) Create an artwork that expresses your biggest fear.
3) Create an artwork that reflects the innermost part of you.

Deadline for submission for the Artwork section is December 31, 2010.

SUBMISSIONS: Entries are to be completed via email to shap97@gmail.com. Images of your artwork must be high resolution, .jpeg or .eps format, and need to be a minimum of 3” x 3” at 300dpi with no compression. Please label each image with your name and the words "secret", “fear” or “innermost” depending upon the prompt you are answering. Also include with your submission your name as you would like it to appear, your email (which will not be published), your hometown, and one web url.

ANONYMOUS SUBMISSIONS: Because of the personal nature of the themes within both the Questions & Answers and the Artwork sections, I recognize that some artists may not feel fully comfortable responding publically. To that end, you have the option of having your artwork and/or your responses to the eleven questions published anonymously. If you do submit this way, please be aware that your name will not be included in the book at all.

As anonymous contributors, you are still legally required to sign a release form if your artwork is selected for publication. Therefore please note that although the form with your name on it will ultimately be sent to and held by F+W Media, your name will not be published and will remain in the strictest of confidence.

Release forms are not required for text only. So if you are uncomfortable with sending your responses to the Questions & Answers section via email, you may anonymously mail them without attaching your name or return address to:

Seth Apter
PO Box 2036
New York, NY 10021

DEADLINES: Deadlines for this submission as noted above are not flexible. Please know that if the guidelines are not followed correctly, your submission may not be able to be considered. In addition, please be aware that not every submission will be published. There is likely to be a greater number of submissions than space in the book and ultimately the publisher has final approval. If your work is selected you will receive notice prior to February 15th. At that time, you will be provided with a release form for your artwork that will require your signature.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the submission process.

I am very excited about this book. The success of the online version of The Pulse can be credited to the contributions of so many creative artists. I am hoping that with your submissions, “The Artist’s Pulse” the book will be a must-have for every artist and every art lover’s shelf!

89 comments:

Andrea C said...

Wow congratulations, all of your hard work has paid off. I wish you book great success. :)

~*~Patty S said...

Just brilliant Seth!
Kudos and wishing you every success!

Diane said...

Congratulations Seth!
I am so proud for you!!

Marit said...

Congratulations Seth!!! It's about time they "picked you up" and recognize the artist in you, and the number of creative people you gathered around this blog and collaborating with you! Excitingggg....!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Seth! Hope this books will be as great a read as your website!

--Mina

Unknown said...

This is such a well deserved recognition of the dedication you have to the art community ~ Congratulations!

giddy up said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting.... keep us posted on the progress.

Deryn Mentock said...

Fantastic news, Seth. Congratulations to you! It was only a matter of time...

nancy neva gagliano said...

but of course your work should result in a this book!! as it should be.....and what great questions!!

Caterina Giglio said...

congratulations Seth, how exciting, I would love to get a piece finished for submission!

*jean* said...

this is such good news!! congratulations, seth!

Peggi Meyer Graminski said...

I am so excited and happy for you ~ congratulations and best wishes!!!

Lost Aussie said...

Well done and congratulations. I am sure you will have your work cut out for you and a great response to your call for submissions.

Kathryn Dyche said...

Wow, what an amazing opportunity. Congratulations.

MrCachet said...

I'll have to think about this one, Seth. I've printed out the questions and specifics for the three pieces. Thank you for the invite. I'm flattered.

Maureen said...

How wonderful! Congratulations.

lyle baxter said...

knew it!!!congrats! all your effort and encouragement needed to be recognised! we'll be watching and thinking! lyle

Bill said...

Awesome! Radical! Sweet!

Pam Tucker said...

Oh Seth! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

Roben-Marie said...

Congratulations, Seth! This is wonderful news and you are so deserving! Blessings, RM

Martin said...

BIG congrats to you, Seth!! Your work is amazing so you truly deserve it.

Artsnark said...

I hearty congrats, Seth! Wonderful to see all of your efforts getting recognition.

Thanks for the opportunity you're offering with these art calls. I'm off to spread the word

theresa martin said...

Congratulations! Much success to you with this book!

stregata said...

Many congratulations, Seth! So deserved!!! I can't wait to see the book.

Shona Cole said...

Congrats Seth. those are some interesting questions. this is going to be an interesting venture.
shona

Unknown said...

Congrats on the book....you're going to be famous!
I am really excited about the direction you are taking with this project, focusing on the artist "interior" space instead of the "how to" & "eye candy" of so many publications.
I definitely plan to submit. (Great prompts btw.)

studio pashnada said...

How exciting! I printed this out so I can sit down with my journal to answer some of these questions. But mostly, I love a new reason to make something different!!

Jill said...

What an over the top book this will be! Creative- filled with energy and vibrancy- with the answers to questions we may all wonder about- and responses to questions we never thought about- but can now think about.
What a great open call invitation for submissions of original artwork as well. As always, you are so generous and the ultimate collaborator. I know this book will be an absolute smash hit!

Terry said...

Seth, I am so excited and pleased for you! What a wonderful recognition of all your talent, hard work, dedication and generosity. I know the book will reflect all of those traits and be a huge success!
Yea!!!

Dawn D. Sokol said...

Seth, I am so excited for you! This is a well-deserved project for you!!! You have worked hard on The Pulse and it's getting the major recognition it deserves! Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Seth! How exciting!!! I love the questions and the art prompts...I'll start working on my submissions right away!!

Suzanne said...

Well done you. Thoroughly deserved.
Wishing you all the luck in the world with it.

Julie Prichard said...

Yeehaw! I am going to link this over on my facebook group. :)

rscoach said...

Mazel Tov, Seth!!! So happy for you and so well deserved...finally!!! xo reva (Los Angeles)

Nelda Ream said...

Congratulations, Seth! This is going to be a very interesting book.

heather noye said...

Wow! what an interesting concept! Congrats on the book. I can't wait to see it!

elle said...

Because you have blessed others, now you'll be blessed and in turn we are blessed. Thank you!

Inge said...

Hello Seth,

a big hug and congratulations from belgium !
You did such a big work on the pulse and now you are rewarded.

I'm not sure if I will participate ( due to time limits....) but it's a great project and I hope you let me know when the book is published and if I could order it online.
I already know I want this one !

greetings from Belgium
Inge

Debrina said...

Congratulations of the highest calibre, Seth! You are the King of all that is collaborative. Count me in for both submissions.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Congratulations!!! Wow, that is wonderful!

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

Hurrah! The cat is out of the bag! Congratulations again Seth. It's been so great watching The Pulse grow since the beginning. And now a book!

Kim Palmer said...

What a wonderful book this promises to be Seth. Congratulations, I'm so excited for you! I'd love to submit too, thanks for the invite. Now of course I just want to hold the finished book in my hand and drool away, but I guess I will wait although probably not very patiently knowing me, LOL!

Corrine said...

Wow, Good for you. Sounds like it will be a lot of work for you though. I've got my thinking cap on.

Anonymous said...

Amazing Seth!!! Congratulations, congratulations! I waiting for the day when we heard about a book from you!!! I can NOT wait to dive into this... Heady stuff indeed! I am actually glad you asked a lot of these questions and I think they are going to illicit some surprising results!

I know it is going to be a wonderful sucess for you!

Parabolic Muse said...

You know, of course, that I'm going to err on the side of being wacky.

YAY!!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Congratulations, Seth! I'm so glad the value of all your hard work has been recognized. It should be a very exciting book; I don't know of another with this type of focus. The online art community hasn't been documented to any great extent, and this is definitely an idea whose time has come!

CERULEAN said...

Congratulations! You did it!

Anonymous said...

Seth, Sweet! Well done dude.
Loving the idea of 'warts and all' ...getting a bit sick of cute and peachy keen. This has caught me at the right time- thank you for the invitation- look out!

.Trudi Sissons said...

I remember when Debby first introduced me to you - probably 3 years ago now - and the Pulse was just that.....now it's a DRUM ROLL no... a marching band!!! C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s!!!! I'm so happy to hear this!

Susan Tuttle said...

Congratulations Seth -- excellent news!!!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Busy, busy. You know what I mean. Congratulations!

Robert said...

Wow, Seth! This is SO exciting!!! The mixed media arts community could not have a better advocate than you. This event is a wonderful recognition of that fact! Sincere congratulations from an ardent fan!!!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I knew this book was coming!!! Congratulations dear man. You are one incredible artist who has shared his heart with other artists who continue their search into the unknown. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

YAY! Good on you. Good things come to good people I say:)
Will have to put my thinking cap on! If we create a piece for submission do we refrain from showing it on our blogs until you've decided on which ones will be created? Or is it ok to share?

I just linked your butterfly in my butterfly post too BTW.

ArtPropelled said...

So the secret is out :-)

Gaby Bee said...

Great news, Seth! Congratulations and best wishes! I can't wait to see the book.

Laura said...

How grand...congrats to you...Love hearing how you have keep this whole live style going and the dreams keep coming true..

and thank you for offering it to all of us too. Oh we need more people to get into art..makes people have hearts and be more giving and tolerant of others...

~v~Laura

ps pirro said...

Wonderful news about the book. I'm thrilled for you and excited about the project! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

So excited for you Seth! This is so well deserved!!! Check that pulse, we're all greatly anticipating your findings!

Rebeca Trevino said...

I knew something was up! This is terrific! Although, I have to say, it is not a surprise! Your hard work and amazing attention to detail, and generous, giving nature makes this the perfect 'next-step'.

Congratulations Seth!

Billie said...

Hi Seth

Many congratulations, I wish you much sucess with your latest venture.

Best wishes

Billie :)

Deb said...

Kudos! What great news, Seth! You SO deserve this book. You are truly a talent - and so magnanimous with your fellow artists.
I am intrigued & excited about the 3 challenge categories (love the way you make me think) & plan on submitting some work.

rivergardenstudio said...

This amazing project will bind the artistic community even closer. Congratulations on this project, what a great experience this will be! roxanne

TreasuresFromHawaii said...

Aloha! What an honor...You must be doing cartwheels with anticipation ;D I'm thrilled for your success & have one question re: the "call for artists" - Is this only for painters or would you consider photography/photographers?

Thanks for the possible opporunity & much luck in your new endeavor! God bless...Dava

Dawn said...

WOW seth, talk about going deep! Hmm...I am definitely going to have to sit on this one. Great stuff, and congrats!! :)

Tracey said...

Congrats! Your success is ours!

Barbara Chappelle said...

Sincere congratulations, Seth. This is a huge project, and I know you will do a superb job. The art world is very fortunate to have a leader such as yourself. Hope we are up to the challenges - brilliant!

Jessica said...

Congratulations! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

meaningful, honest, provoking,
a worthy cause, a lot of work,
a voice for the unabashed and unheard, widely anticipated.

Elizabeth said...

How wonderful that you will be able to bring this worthy book to fruition! This is exciting - thanks for sharing.

vivian said...

yay! well done seth.. and such a great reason to create!

Beanie Mouse said...

Someone asked if we can post the pictures on blogs prior to publication. Word of warning on that idea.... I hear that some publishers prefer "previously unpublished" works and may regard blog posts as prior publication.... thus making your entry void. Way round that - post as "work in progress" i.e. unfinished.... this also prevents someone else "borrowing" your work and using elsewhere and not necessarily with the correct artist details!!! Wouldn't want your work popping up elsewhere and marked as "by someone else"!!!

Coffee Messiah said...

What a great thing to happen.

Good Luck on the book and it should end up being as interesting and diverse as your blog has been.

Cheers!

Leslie said...

I'm so glad for you Seth! This book is going to be amazing!

Anonymous said...

what magnificent news, seth! the hugest of congratulations!!! i cannot wait to see and read all that this stunningly rich will book promises to hold within its covers. i'm so proud of you and utterly excited for the release of your first book!

Thespa McLaughlin said...

I am so excited for you. Having a book published is an immense accomplishment and you deserve it. Thanks so much for the opportunity to submit artwork for it. Wishing you the best of luck!

Holly Dean Artist said...

Wow Seth, great news!!! (I missed this post last week and just got the chance to read it.) Your creative energy and collaborative nature are such a boost to the art world. Congratulations and well deserved :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Seth! What is so remarkable, to me, is the fact that you have come from a relatively "unknown" artist to being published in national magazines, recognized by well-known artists, and now soon to be appearing on the same bookshelves as the big names. I am so happy for you! And I am hoping that many of the people and art that appear in your new book will also be yet-unknown artists... artists soon recognized for their talents... all because you really have your finger on "the pulse" of the art community! Best wishes to you always!

tricia said...

congratulations! i am so happy to read about this! :)

Kathleen Harrington said...

This is so exciting! I'm working on my submissions right now!

azirca said...

Fantastic news Seth, congratulations! A mammoth task but one in which I know will be successful for you, you are the master or organization.

Poetic Artist said...

Congratulations, How exciting and well deserved..Sorry it has took me so to visit..
Katelen

Supria Karmakar said...

You already know how brilliant I think you are and now I am so thrilled that an even bigger part of the universe will get to enjoy your talents, your vision and your deep committment to the arts world...congratulations Seth way to go! : )

p said...

yes congrats to you because you have collected such a following of amazing artists and bloggers...what a great thing it will be. i wish you all the best sounds cool!

rawqueen said...

I am so not joking when I say you learn something everyday!!! What a wonderful project and ummmm, errrr, how did I not know about this? Give thanks. Blessings in all you do and with the exciting and much deserved publication of your new book!
One Love

Lisa JonesMoore said...

I am so very excited for you Seth, and for this project. I wrote my answers to the survey at 10 p.m. the night before they were due, hope they make sense! Some tough questions, and extremely delicious food for thought! I'm getting to work on some art related to this fabulous project...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Let me add my congratulations, Seth, to the already long and deserved list for getting your book picked up. I would like to thank you for the opportunity to participate. It was such a joy to paint those three pieces that your prompts inspired! As always, you continue to help me grow as an artist. Best of luck with your book.

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

Seth, I have just submitted my artwork submission for The Artists Pulse. I am very excited to see how the whole book will look (and sound) when published. Happy New Year to you, and here's to a fantastic 2011!!