Friday, November 26, 2010

One of a Kind

The One of a Kind Show and Sale hit NYC for the last two weekends. Over 100 artisans showcased their handmade goods, including art, crafts, clothing, and jewelry. There was a lot to love there but the work of 4 artists in partcular stood out to me.

Hands down my favorite find at the show was the work of found object artist John Borrero. If that name sounds familiar, it might be because you have seen him showcased in Susan Tuttle's wonderful book Exhibition 36. John creates stunning and powerful artworks, each of which has a mystery all its own and story to tell. His paintings and sculptures speak for themselves...





I was amazed by the technical expertise of the metalwork of Chris Beck. Although he creates many objects out of metal, at this show he highlighted his line of clothes, made out of scavenged tin. The level of realistic detail he achieves is incredible. Chris is from a small town in Georgia and he shared with me that it is not unusual for him to wake up and find a heap of scrap metal left on his lawn by anonymous locals.


About Last Night

Two of the abstract paintings of Armando Pedroso were calling my name throughout the entire show. And a later visit to his website had his art, particularly his Grafitti series, yelling at me louder.



I really enjoyed the whimsy of Denise Fiedler's collages made from vintage book pages. Denise aptly presents her artwork under the name Paste. Her wall of framed pieces was at at the entrance to the show and really made a big impact.




Have your say! Four new survey questions have just been posted on the sidebar of my blog. These will be the final questions in the series, with the results presented as part of my upcoming book. Stop by and share your opinions.

20 comments:

stregata said...

Thanks for sharing, Seth. Especially John Borrero - I was so blown away by his work in Susan Tuttle's book. And these pieces are fascinating.

Luthien Thye said...

oh wow!! i am blown away by the works you share in this post! beautiful, intriguing and absolutely captivating!!

Gillian McMurray said...

A great selection of works. Some really unusual stuff that I wouldn't get to see otherwise. Not surprised that you are drawn to Pedroso's work. There is definitely something about it.

Jen said...

Oh. All kinds of swoon, Seth. I feel like a desert, soaking up all that visual goodness. I need this. Thank you!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Thanks for doing this post Seth. Living in the hinterlands, this was like a trip to a dream gallery!
What amazing work being done--it must have been a phenomenal show.
Armando's work jumped out at me in particular, though all have a quality to automatically grab and hold the eye.

XXOO~~
Anne

MrCachet said...

As always Seth, thanks for sharing!

Maureen said...

Impressive level of quality. You've highlighted four very fine artists.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous collection. Thanks for sharing so I could check each of them out.

Love your stuff too

Pat

Rebeca Trevino said...

all the artists were amazing, i particularly enjoyed Armando Pedroso's work and his back story.
thanks Seth for bringing these fabulous artists into my light.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, let me being by hoping you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I've been having internet issues today and didn't have a blog of the day when I was finally able to post. I clicked on your post from my sidebar, curious about what I saw in the thumbnail. It didn't take me long to find my blog of the day, because, like me, you believe in providing lots of links for people to explore. I have chosen John Borrero because of his work with found objects. I'll admit it. I was not above "stealing" his link from you (grin). Thank you as always for the inspiration, both yours and others!

BTW, I see why you liked Pedroso's art. I love it, too. He may show up on my blog in a day or so, too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That first line should have read "begin," not "being." I should learn to proof before I click.

femminismo said...

wonderful artwork. wanted all of the images much larger. actually wanted to be there, that's what i wanted. thanks for posting these.

Kathryn Dyche said...

I love seeing works by other artists, what amazing pieces.

Leslie said...

Yikes. I can so see why you love John's work. My right leg is shaking until I can backspace and go to his site. Love you, but I'm just saying.

Thanks my friend.

ooglebloops said...

John Borrero is great - and Chris's metal works are amazing. Thanks for sharing............

Parabolic Muse said...

Oh, that Pedroso!

I remember Borero from Tuttle's book, and that photo makes me itch to go there. Thank you for sharing this. I would never have known...

Patti Sandham said...

Wow it is so cool to see shows I would never get to. you have captured it so well and I love what you choose to share. Thanks your a peach!

San said...

Thanks for introducing us to these four artists. I love those metal clothes.

My husband will be at the One of Kind Show in Chicago, opening December 2.

Anonymous said...

ooh, so wonderful! thank you so much for sharing these wonderful artists and links to their sites, seth!

Wen said...

nice to see bits of the show- I really enjoy your sense of play, art and design.