Sunday, November 21, 2010

StudioScapes: Chapter 11


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. Nearly 150 artists have answered a list of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. Links to the first two projects, Secret Sunday and The Book Guild, can be found on the sidebar of my blog.


StudioScapes is the third project and Chapter 11 starts right now! All artists participating in The Pulse were asked to submit a photograph of a favorite art-related vignette from their home or studio.
_______________



I have taken a shot of my 'lazy susan' which holds paints, gesso, glues and inks! It makes grabbing what I need so much easier!
______________



_______________



The first photo is of an ordinary day at my work table in its usual disarray with a few collections added for the photo. The black & white piece of art at the back of the table is an original work done personally for me by Ketut Lyer, the Balinese artist in "Eat, Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is a drawing of Saraswati, the goddess of art, music and literature and below her (which you can't see in this photo) is ancient scripture and prayers. She is my muse when I am working.  
  _______________



The image I sent is of a small collection of Paris collages. They are image transfers of the Eiffel Tower (from a photo I took) transferred to collages comprised of tissue paper, pigment and dyed silk organza.
_______________



My favourite late-night activity while I wind down and watch TV... breaking out the art journal.
_______________



  _______________



My studio
photo credit: Jesse Tyler Gullion 
_______________




The altar area in my room/loft
_______________



I don't have an actual dedicated studio space that I use. I have a desk and shelving/drawers for storage in the garage, next to the washing machine and kids bikes (not very inspiring!) and this area here which is in the family lounge. This space serves a practical place to keep things I use often as well as a 'inspiration station' filled with received art, bits of my art and cards from my kids. There's a few nests here too of course!

8 comments:

sf said...

Funny, that vignette from my Studioscape has totally altered
since the photo was first sent.

Lynn Cohen said...

Seeing these spaces and hearing of their lives certainly brings these real artists down to earth for me. A good thing.We are all just human after all.

Lisa said...

I like Sarah's comment and I bet most would agree that our work spaces are constantly changing reflections of our creative energies...

jilly said...

Just continuing to love your StudioScapes series Seth! The change in feel from one photo to the next is such a treat. Thanks so much for putting this all together!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Thanks Seth! Great to see my pic with all the other great studios.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am so in awe of all these artists who have shared their studios and all the time you have taken to spotlight them. I know I haven't been around much these last couple of weeks, but it doesn't mean I am not thinking about you and all you do for this community.

Leslie said...

I never get tired of seeing these glimpses of other people's studios!

Thanks Seth!

I Dig This Life said...

FAO: Jesse

Hi found a link of your great studios on pinterest, and I run a blog and page called 'Where People Create' and would love to feature you and your studio.

http://www.facebook.com/wherepeoplecreate

http://wherepeoplecreate.blogspot.com/

If you are interested just drop me a line at:

amgartstudios@gmail.com

Thank you

Ann