Twice a year, the Craft & Hobby Association (CHA) publishes a report for their members that covers the trends in the industry. Relevant to manufacturers, retailers, designers, bloggers, crafters and artists, this document presents a snap shot of both the current and the upcoming trends in the world of craft and art.
For Winter 2016, the report was expanded and includes the following categories: Altered Pages, Art & Illustration, Canadian Craft Trends, Colors & Motifs, Children's Crafts, European Craft Trends, General Craft Trends, Home Decor Handcrafted, Jewelry Art, Mixed Media, Needle & Sewing Arts, Paper Arts & Craft, Renegade Crafts Stateside, Renegade Crafts Global, Surface Design, Tools & Techniques, and Wearable Art.
As a member of the Trends Committee of the Designer Section of CHA, I am responsible for writing the section on mixed media. I wanted to share some of latest trends from the report with you.
Top 10 Trends in Mixed Media
2. Mark Makers: markers, pens and pencils continue to be popular and used in conjunction with many of the other 2016 trends (see #1, 5, 10)
3. Collage: an art mainstay seeing a resurgence, with paper, metal, fabric and hand/machine stitching increasingly popular
4. Texture: the addition of increasingly varied texture mediums on the market is fueling an increased interest in all-things textural and dimensional
5. Text and Lettering: this trend, strong in the past few years, continues with no end in site
6. Stencils: popularity continues with trends evident in abstract patterns, nature-themes, background texture, and text
8. Design Elements: circular, organic and natural shapes are replacing the hard, geometric shapes popular in recent years
9. Portraiture: an increased interest in adding faces to art continues, especially with the help of stencils, masks, and collage
10. Coloring: coloring books for adults are booming and fueling increased interest in pencils, crayons, sketching, and stamping
Seeing your own trends? Add your thoughts to this post in the comments section.