Thursday, August 18, 2016

Pat Steir

There is a fascinating feature with artist Pat Steir in Interview Magazine. So much of what she said resonated with me. And there were so many quotes that I thought every artist should hear. So I decided to share a few with you...

Painting is an object, but it is also a voice.


I'm making art because I want you to look at that painting and I want it to effect you in some way, to change what you see, to change how you see it.


Art is a way you discover the past, and so it brings the past into the present and the future.


My paintings are based on what I can do, and what I can do is not controlled. 


I have my moods, but I can always see something beautiful.

You can read the entire interview here...

5 comments:

Jo Murray said...

Lightbulbs in my brain!

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

"Art is a way you discover the past, and so it brings the past into the present and the future." This quote seems to be where I am at the moment...with my work and my dreams. Thanks for the post.

Renee said...

Amazing interview thanks for directing me there, lots to think about.

Nan G said...

Fascinating woman.

Stephanie said...

Seth - i read this in the weekly links, but I am so glad you posted it solo too. It's an amazing article.