Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Take the Leap

I wrote the following to a response to a question I received by email. As I was responding, it occurred to me that there are likely to be many people out there in Blogville that may be dealing with the same thing...


A number of years ago I spent more time holding on to rather than using my finds. And I had a lot of finds. One day I realized that the only reason I had even collected all the stuff was that I wanted to make art. It wasn't because I wanted to be a collector. I knew that I wanted to make the best art that I could and it struck me as odd that I wasn't using the best ingredients that were right by my side.

So I decided to just take the leap and use several of my most favorite pieces that I had held on to for years. And as a result of being more comfortable with this, my art improved. Does everything work out and look good? Absolutely not. But without risk there is no reward and giving myself permission to use my good stuff made me a better artist in the long run. This one choice has made me more willing to take creative risks.

So I say, jump in the deep end and just go for it.

21 comments:

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

So true! I love paper...and some of my finds are the same as yours: Holding on for "just the *right* project". But when will that be? Think I'll take a leaf out of your book and just go for it! Have a great day.

Jennifer said...

Excellent advice Seth.

Art Joy of Sharing with Peg and Shel said...

I love the way you think. I love the deep end!

Caterina Giglio said...

I so agree with you, I only use original ephemera, and my best stuff too... funny how there never seems to be a lack of the "good stuff" to buy... LOL

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Carpe diem - thanks for the reminder!

elle said...

Definitely true and I am just 'getting' this for myself!

Cathy - CMP Designs said...

What a great reminder....I think I need to see this :)

jennerwren said...

OR you could just share!!! :-D
I am guilty of the same!

Anonymous said...

And I always think when I've used a treasure and made something awful, "That's good - now I can THROW IT AWAY."

PocketSize said...

That's a really good point! And really, you can enjoy that fantastic piece of something much more when it's part of art on the wall than when it's in a drawer not being used.

Stephanie said...

so true! thanks for the reminder.

Sharon Y said...

Yes! Great advice. As I slowly and painfully clean out my craft room I am finding forgotten treasures. I'm thinking if I pull my favorites out as I re-find them and display them or have in a basket near by I will be more likely to use them. Thanks Seth.

Darlene K Campbell said...

Wow Seth, So funny you have this particular post today. Guess what I started doing at 7:00am this morning? I'm sorting through collage fodder, etc. that I have been hoarding instead of using. Wonderful papers, cardboard, maps,etc. that I have been storing for years. I went to bed last night thinking how I need to get the stuff out and use it. Found a roll of Hand Made Red Lokta, Calligraphy paper from Nepal that I believe I've had for ten years. EEK! Here's to jumping in and using the stuff. Your collection of metal looks spectacular. Cheers-Darlene

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Excellent advise!!! I am doing the same!Thank you!

Jo Murray said...

THAT advice certainly should be taken by me....and I start today!

Anonymous said...

Wow. This little push is coming at just the right time. I have been having this mental arguement for a few months and wind up not using my special stuff. Considering it too precious. I need to use it and move on, whether the piece ultimately pleasing or not. Thank you Seth.

~*~Patty S said...

Beautifully said Seth!
Wise and so true.
I am also at the point now where I feel I can let go of some of the things I gathered for so many years. We've been hauling lots of "stuff" to the local charity shop to try and lighten the load here.
Have a great weekend!

Louise said...

Oh, yessss thank you SETH :D

donna joy said...

still guilty of this...but it's time to use the good stuff or let it go :)

CraftyHope said...

I'm so very guilty of this similar hoarding behavior. I've come to the same conclusion as you that it should be used, but yet I still haven't broken out "the good stuff" yet. It needs to happen. . .SOON! Thanks for the reminder.

Jackie PN said...

Thanks for this Seth! yes, time to let go of the good stuff!! heehee