Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Inspiration Wanted

Whenever I need a dose of inspiration, I just grab my camera and head to pretty much any neighborhood in NYC. Usually, all I need is one hour to find and document enough visual stimulation to last awhile -- well, at least a little while anyway. I find that when I am on an image safari, I tend to be very visually vigilant and look in unusual places and find details that I wouldn't typically see. Most of the following photos were taken in Union Square and the East Village, where I headed to fine tune some ideas I have for a new project. In seeing the color palette of the shots I took, I noticed that I seemed to be in a sepia and blue mood. Hope you find inspiration in these images too!

















Pictures #2 and #6 are details from the floor and the wall of a shop in the East Village called Mascot Studio. Owned by Peter McCaffrey, it is a cool, little shop that specializes in picture framing but is exciting to me because of the floor to ceiling mixed media works he showcases. Definitely worth a visit.

Thanks to those of you who offered via comments or emails to help out Anonymous who lost all her/his belongings in a fire (see this post for details). No word yet on anonymous' identity...but I remain hopeful! I will keep you posted.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these kind of photos of textures, small details easily overlooked, and inspirational too!

Thanks for your recent comment on my blog. I've been reading through much of it, with much pleasure, and now have it in my feed to keep up with your new posts.

notmassproduced said...

inspiring pictures Seth - looking fwd to seeing what comes next...

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! I'm inspired, definitely.

Gillian McMurray said...

Great images. I love the second one - it reminds me of cornstarch collages I saw once. The fifth one is my favourite though. It is like I can feel the smoothness of the tree branches.

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

Love the angel and the drawers. Have you ever see Satan's Laundromat? You can find it here:
http://www.satanslaundromat.com/sl/

It's one of my all time fav photoblogs, even though he hasn't posted in a long time. It's totally worth making your way through his archives.

Enjoy! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful inspirational photos! My favorites are the drawers and the tree branches! Now off to the beach again for my own inspirational photos! Debbie

Unknown said...

These really are wonderful! I especially love the bare bulb and the branches...would make a fantastic painting!

Anonymous said...

Seth Seth Seth! Checking in from Washington today...love your photo safari... I am DUMB for not bringing my camera here. I'm taking a few shots here and there with the pocket model and not happy. I agree with Stephanie..photo 5 is my favorite. Picked up Artful Blogging in this small town too (surprisingly..because it is hard to find in San Diego)..your pictoral and article are great!

ArtPropelled said...

Ooooh these photos are motivating me to go on an image safari too. You obviously have an eye for amazing details. No.6 is my favourite. Love it!

Chris said...

These are really nice, Seth. You have a good eye.

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful textures. very inspiring

kelsey said...

Great pictures Seth! My favourite would have to be the one with the lightbulb and the tree branches, though the drawer handles is pretty cool too! Simplicity...wonderful!

Anonymous said...

way inspiring seth, thank you again. my fave is no. 7 for sure... the layering and colours do it for me :) what a great idea to go on an image-hunt. may need to do just that myself. thanks.

Leslie said...

What a great eye you have for texture and color! I love the first and seventh picture the best, but they are all wonderful. Can't wait to see what you do with all this fodder.

Unknown said...

lovely, lovely, photos Seth. Yummy. Makes so many ideas roll around. Mysterious you...wonder what you are working on and excited to see :)

Anonymous said...

I love your inspiratikln photos. I, too, take lots of pics for inspiration. Congrats on being published in The Artful Blogger!
Jan Canyon

sallyt said...

Wow, what an eye you have! These are terrific photos of just what artists love to see -- texture, detail, composition -- all of it. Hope you do something with one of them soon. Can't wait to see.

kate said...

I love your term, "image safari"! May I borrow it? :) These are wonderful images and yes, they do inspire me immensely. The urban environment is always so jam-packed with details to capture but you have to have a good eye to find the perfect shot. And you obviously do!

papercracker said...

Oh, I love the phrase "an image safari"! Can't wait to see your next project.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, just found your blog! Thank you for the inspirational photos! I think you coined a new phrase "Image Safari". Photo number seven it wonderful and does inspire me! Thanks, Seth! ~Joann

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

i love the angel..
nita