Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Pulse Spotlight: Sarah Fishburn

Welcome to the third edition of The Pulse: an artist survey. This collaborative project aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals.

Today's question: Show and Tell. SHOW us one photograph of the object or objects that you collect and TELL us how your collection(s) came to be and/or what they mean to you. Feel free to include any anecdote about how you might have found/bought any of your treasures.

This Pulse Spotlight is brought to you by the creative, unique, soulful, and generally amazing Sarah Fishburn. As soon as you read this post...go to her sites and definitely order Pasticcio, her wondrous art zine she creates with Angela Cartwright.

http://sarahfishburn.com
http://lulu.com/cartwrightandfishburn
http://ragtagsf.blogspot.com

________________________________

Sometimes I think "Ahh, to live the life of a minimalist aesthete. . ." then I remember who I really am.

When I was a kid, we moved ALL the time, back and forth across the country, occasionally just across town.From kindergarten through 11th grade, I lived at maybe 20 different addresses. By the time I was 17, I was out on my own, with a scant dozen books and a deck of tarot cards the only remnants of childhood. For a while, I still didn't have much more than a black cat, a brown dog, a backpack full of books and the clothes on my back. I DID buy postcards at museums, whenever I had a few cents to my name, and propped them on the windowsill where they looked VERY arty next to velvet plants and wandering jews rooting in old Ball jars, or planted twining out of old tin cans. I was madly in love with someone who was deeply spiritual, a Capricorn, for whom material goods were of little value. To prove my commitment to his ideals, I smashed my pottery as fast as I made it, and buried my tarot cards in the backyard. What can I say? I was young and in love.

Soon I ended up with a different guy, a flute player, a Leo, more down to earth. We had a bunch of kids, and my true nature, that of a VISUAL JUNKIE, surfaced with a vengeance. I began squirreling away grocery money to buy gorgeous illustrated children's books, started making books for my babies myself, borrowing camerasto take their photographs, constructing funky frames to put those in, hanging beaded prisms in all the windows and doorways, and scooping up small folk art treasures, especially anything horse related (1954, a Year of the Horse) at every junk shop we came upon. I've had friends to trade with, and a couple of my own kids to contribute their evocative photographs and some graphic, eye-catching stencil art. From wherever I travel, I bring home pieces found or bought, and each time I see them, I remember the unadulterated, revelatory joy of discovering that particular place, at that particular time. I was a desert dweller from an early age, now living at the edge of the Rockies, yet crazy for everything beach. One of my most favorite collected bits is a small shell fossil found on the Oregon coast as the wind blew through my kids' hair and the surf pounded against the rocks. Someday maybe I'll travel further afield, to Canada, Scotland, India. . .

In this life I've been lucky to live where artists flourish, and been blessed with an appreciative eye. Our home is a rich pasticcio of colors, textures, sounds, smells - an ongoing and precious narrative of so many things - books, music, movies, photographs, fascinating art, spirited conversation, fresh baked bread, incense, flowers, laughter, tears. . .










11 comments:

firstborn studio said...

o how i loooooove my sarah,
a sweet nicknackitarian sister!!!!

thanks seth for this spot of light!

SUZAN BUCKNER said...

Wow!! I love all of her stuff!!

Anonymous said...

I've been lucky enough to visit this house and admire all the wonderful, rich, fishburnista objects that adorn jussssst the right place. It was such a pleasure and is a pleasure now seeing these vignettes. Thanks for the profile Seth!

Chris said...

This is a great profile. I'm going to have to make a point to get into her house somehow. It's amazing. I'm glad she sent so many great photos. Thanks, Seth!

Maj said...

Great narrative! Humorous... quote: "I got a bunch of kids!" and warm and the collections SO interesting! More than a few items made my fingers ich! :)
This is a great project, Seth!

lynne h said...

now *that* was a literary and visual treat! thank you sarah and seth!

sf said...

In various pics here, if you look carefully, you can see some smashing art created by the following Pulsations:
Angela Cartwright
Shirley Ende-Saxe
Jennifer Gordon
Lisa Hoffman
Denise Lombardozzi
and Marie Otero ---
So, thanx to THEM, what you are looking at is an art-filled house made home. . .
sarah

Leslie said...

Such a wonderful profile, Seth. And thanks to Sarah for sharing her self with us!

sarahelizabeth said...

How very interesting! People named Sarah are just awesome ;)

Shirley Gonzalez-Day said...

What a fabulous place. One could look for hours and never finigh admiring everything. I'd love a real tour.

Unknown said...

I love this detailed look at Sarah's life, home and studio AND the large pics so I could poke around and even read the titles in her bookshelves!!