Tuesday, February 5, 2013

14 Artist Journals

Thoughts from a Shadow

I am honored to be a part of a new book lovingly created by artist, blogger, and friend Orly Avineri. Orly is the keeper of One Artist Journal, a blog that spotlights her personal journal pages and accompanying thoughts. In May 2012, she released her first book, aptly titled One Artist Journal, based on the posts within her blog. The book is a gorgeous compilation of thought-provoking imagery and lyrical text.  


Just a few days ago, Orly's second book was released. Entitled 14 Artist Journals, this book shares the private journal pages of 14 artists. I am thrilled to be 1 of the 14.


I have only had my copy for a few hours and I am already obsessed with this book. It is beautifully designed and has the look and feel of a journal itself - both because of the book's size (about 9 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches) and the fact that the pages are full bleed.

I am familiar with some of the artists within the book, for example Jesse Reno, Juliana Coles, Brian Kasstle, Tracy Moore, and Nathalie Nayer. But many of these artists are new to me. It is very clear that the journal pages shared are quite personal. And unique. I am struck by the fact that I can glean so very much about the personalities of each artist by their pages -- which feel like a bit of a glimpse into the artist's soul.

Orly is hosting a giveaway of a copy of her book to one lucky person who comments on her blog post here. You can read more about the book on her blog and can order it directly here.

Ten pages from my journal were included in the book. I wanted to share with you a few of those pages that were not published. I give you...Thoughts from a Shadow:








17 comments:

Jacky said...

This looks wonderful...I will pop over and take a look at Orly's blog to see more.

Great pages Seth.

Jacky xox

hollyllama said...

I'm so hooked on journaling now. These are great!

Judy said...

Congratulations mate!
A well deserved honour for both you and Orly.
I look forward to seeing the book one day and the artwork of so many wonderful artists.

Brian Kasstle said...

Orly's book is amazing. Your pages in it are wonderful Seth! I am honored to be in it with you and the other 14 artists. Your journal pages here are wonderful!

Gaby Bee said...

This book looks great and your pages in it are fantastic...what else:)

A bird in the hand said...

Congratulations! I find artists' journals fascinating even though it's not something I do myself :)

Bill said...

Such awesomeness! The book must be full of grungy beauty.

Maria Medeiros said...

Wonderful!

trish quilty said...

Seth I absolutely loved your unpublished journal pages for Orly's book. Thank you for sharing this wonderful work. I love them all...wish I had your imagination.
It will be somthing to see the actual book!

Darlene K Campbell said...

Happy to hear there are ten of your pages in the book. I am hooked on Art Journals and to be able to see pages from 14 artists sounds fantastic. I agree with you that the size and feel of the book is an added bonus. This is one I'll have to own.

john said...

Seth, my copy of Orly's book arrived last night. Congratulations on your inclusion of really exciting pieces. I am also excited to see other works that you uploaded from your journal. Really wonderful works!

Melody M. Nunez said...

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this book! Congratulations on being included as a featured artist, Seth. And thanks, Orly, for the giveaway. :)

Janine Whitling said...

LOVE LOVE your book. Gorgeous pages. Thanks for sharing them Seth xx

Jane Wetzel said...

ohhhh...awesome...jumping over there now...

Jo Murray said...

Hmmm...maybe I'll buy another bookcase..I'm going to need it.

Unknown said...

That is certainly different.

Unknown said...

Your journal pages are SO Intriguing!
Congrats to both you and Orly. I'm really looking forward to getting this book!