Wednesday, February 27, 2013

La Famiglia


I am often inspired by a single object and find myself building an entire artwork around it. That was the case with this vintage photo, complete with a rather ornate, paper frame. It has been in my stash for too many years to count. The sepia tones in the image called to me today.


You can create something similar on a book cover, canvas, wood panel, or - as I did - on book board. To start, I cut a piece of book board to approximately 9 1/4 x 7 1/4 inches. I rounded the corners using sandpaper, and painted both sides with black gesso. I added a bit of depth and interest by dry brushing a bit of white gesso around the edges. 


Next I began to assemble my layers using patterned paper. I hand cut my base layer but found it a little too bright, so I darkened it using spray ink and added dye ink to the edges.



My next layer was created using patterned paper and a die from Spellbinders Grand Nestabilities Large Labels.


From there, I created a number of paper elements to be used in the design.

I added texture to kraft colored card stock using Spellbinders M-Bossibilities Bricks Embossing Folder and then lightly rubbed the surface with dye ink to darken the bricks. Lastly, I hand cut the card stock to create two smaller pieces.



Using a die from Spellbinders Shapeabilities Botanical Swirls and Accents, I cut and embossed two different color patterned papers into the same shape.


I then layered the die cuts and, to make this more unique, added brads and a circular found object.


I used the same two patterned papers to create shapes using one of the dies from Spellbinders Shapeabilities Address Book. I cut these shapes even further by hand and created two unique elements, layering the different colors in the final piece for more visual interest.



Using one of my own hand painted papers, I cut, embossed and stenciled this element using one of the dies from Spellbinders Nestabilities A2 Filigree Delight. 


For the final touch, I added several different found metal objects to both frame the focal image and add another design element.


In the end, by combining mixed media elements with my own individual twist on commercial products using tools from Spellbinders, La Famiglia was born!








---------------------------------

Supply List

Spellbinders Paper Art Supplies:

GC-001 SpellbindersTM Grand Calibur® Machine
LF-168 SpellbindersTM Grand Nestabilities® Large Labels
EL-015 SpellbindersTM M-Bossibilities®  Bricks and Bark Embossing Folder
S5-146  SpellbindersTM Shapeabilities® Botanical Swirls and Accents
S5-167 SpellbindersTM Shapeabilities® Address Book
S5-177 SpellbindersTM Nestabilities® A2 Filigree Delight

Preferred Promotional Partners: Tsukineko Momento dye ink pad, Imagine Crafts Inkblushers sponge

Cross Promotional Partners: BoBunny Press patterned paper, 7 Gypsies patterned paper 

Other: book board, gesso, watercolor paper, card stock, vintage photo, acrylic paint, paint brush, spray ink, found metal objects, brads, tin snips, adhesive, scissors, sandpaper

19 comments:

audrey said...

Very nice, Seth. I enjoyed that you spelled out each step along the way from start to finish. It was interesting to see how it all came together into "La Famiglia"
I love the long oval paper frame. They are hard to come by.
Happy Monday!!
audrey

Unknown said...

such great colors! This project is very beautiful!

Mary said...

This gives me some inspiration for the various cabinet cards and old pictures that I have stashed away. I like the idea of book covers. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Jo Murray said...

Thanks for sharing the process...fiddly, but the results are obviously worth it.

Unknown said...

Your pictures and words help me [everyone I bet] to SEE the final art piece. Instead of being overwhelmed by the beauty of it, I can stop to see the individual bits of it that make the whole. Such lovely work you do. N, x

Karenliz Henderson said...

Stunning! Gorgeous! When I saw the first picture I didn't realize it was all paper.

Svetlana said...

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

trish quilty said...

Hi Seth: Loved this piece. I too have old cabinet cards that sit and aren't being used. So this was a good inspiration to get them out.
Thanks for sharing your process.

Dorina D said...

Beautiful piece and an excellent tutorial. Now I know what to do with some of my old pics like that. Thanks

Ken Oliver said...

I love your project Seth. The embossed paper frame and photo are way cool. And I love how you show how to pull all the elements together...I'll be using your gesso techniques soon for sure!
Ken

Doug Hickok said...

Wow, your creative process and the resulting work is fascinating!

Nathalie Nayer said...

I do too have a stash with items that I've kept for many years. Funny how some of them inspire you long after you've stored them...

Brian Kasstle said...

Hey Seth! This is a wonderful piece. I love the layers and vintage feel. Very fun!

Kathryn Dyche said...

Seth, love the step outs of this piece. Such gorgeous layers and textures, looks like lots of fun.

Laura S Reading said...

Seth can do no wrong! Love the way his mind works.

Jane Wetzel said...

Amazing Seth..ok..now I am inspired to break out my E folders and my stash..love the dies.

Sandy said...

I knew your teaming up with Spellbinders was going to result in some great new ways to use the products, this is fantastic! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous, gorgeous piece, seth! i lovelove it!! that photograph is so lovely! i've been eyeballing a large wooden box of cabinet cards and carte de visite, etc and wanting to play. you have me so very inspired right now. thank you!! x

Olga Siedlecka said...

Wonderful colour palette!