Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Shifting Gears


I am always looking for ways to create dimension and texture, even when working on something as small as an Artist Trading Card or ATC. ATCs are the size of a playing card and traditionally are created to trade among artists. Being that it was a freezing day when I sat down to make this piece, I knew right away I wanted to capture the icy feel by using a palette of primarily silver and white.

I was further inspired by Creative Cogs, a new embossing folder from Spellbinders.

Using the silver side of a sheet of craft foil, I ran the embossing folder through the Grand Calibur.

I chose one section of the foil and cut it down to playing card size.

I also embossed and hand-cut several pieces of patterned paper in contrasting colors in the exact same way to use as accents. I added some extra silver markings to the white paper using a metallic marker.

I selected some of the embossed and some of the debossed sections of the foil piece, cut out the equivalent sections on the white piece, and glued them together for more detail.

I then added brads to create more dimension. I had silver but no white brads. So in order to keep a consistent color palette, I painted the heads of several brads using white gesso.

I then cut out three strips from the black piece I had embossed earlier. I glued one strip to the very top of the ATC for some contrast and then added my title using white, rub-on letters to the other two strips, which diagonally crossed the card. To finish off, I brushed a layer of black gesso on the playing card and glued that to the back of the ATC to both hide the prongs from the brads and add the finishing touch.




---------------------------------

Supply List

Spellbinders Paper Art Supplies:

GC-001 SpellbindersTM Grand Calibur® Machine
F-013 SpellbindersTM Jewel Tones  Craft Foil 
E3D-002 SpellbindersTM 3D M-Bossibilities® Creative Cogs

Cross Promotional Partners: Bo Bunny patterned paper

Other: playing card, white gesso, black gesso, metallic marker, adhesive, paper, brads, rub-on letters, scissor, awl

18 comments:

Kathryn Dyche said...

Love seeing the process, very cool.

Evelyn said...

love the texture and how visible the dimension is on your card.

Bill said...

Wow that is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!!! Ah...new toys for me to consider!! Just what I need!! And when did you add the picture of yourself to your blog? (It's been awhile since I've come a visiting!)

Roberta Warshaw said...

Very cool Seth, as usual!

Eileen Korponay said...

Love this card! I'll have to investigate some of the tools you are using. I make most of my ATCs by collaging scraps.

Carol said...

Amazing, as always!

Unknown said...

Your art is awesome, Mister!! Love this one to bits. N, x

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Jo Murray said...

I still don't know where you find the time..AND never run out of inspiration.

Karen Schroeder said...

Awesome!

Brian Kasstle said...

Very cool. There you go tempting us with new toys.

Unknown said...

wow very nice and awesome.New to Network Marketing

ArtPropelled said...

I like the contrast of the foil and the distressed white. Interesting to follow your process.

Parabolic Muse said...

Wow. This is fun to watch happen! Isn't it so great when you find something that makes your imagination run free, and allows you to bring to life what you imagine?

Laura said...

So cool Seth thanks for sharing.

layers said...

Thanks for sharing your process in so many steps.. very interesting and cool.. and the outcome is wonderful.

Teresa Abajo said...

Love what you've done with one of my favourite embossing folders! I would never have thought to use it on a smaller project like an ATC. I love how it turned out!