Friday, August 29, 2014

NY, NY: V

Week three of my travels in Australia and I thought that while I am away from my home base in NYC...I would bring some of NYC back into my world. All this week I will be reposting images of art exhibitions that I have seen in New York over the years. There have been many, so this represents just a few of my favorites...

This Ain't Trash...It's Art

In 2009, I saw an exhibit at Sikkema, Jenkins & Co. in NYC showcasing the art of Mark Bradford, an American artist who had just won a prestigious MacArthur Fellowship. He uses mostly material that he finds on the streets of LA to create highly textured, abstract works. His process is about adding layers and tearing away to create what look like to me to be urban landscapes. Here are some examples, with close-up, detail shots included.








Take 1 minute and 34 seconds out of your day to view this video about Mark. I guarantee that many of his statements here will resonate deeply. After all, "This Ain't Trash...It's Art."


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This guy is super cool!!!
XO Orly

Rosemoo said...

Oh wow you were right that really spoke to me on a deeper level than I anticipated. Thanks Seth!

mansuetude said...

Like This guy alot.

He has such beautiful hands.

Enjoy your travels.

Jo Murray said...

I'm gobsmacked Setho....these are beyond beautiful.

improv cloth said...

Love, love Mark's work!! Thanks for posting!!

Carol said...

Great guy, Seth, love his thinking. Thank you!

Brian Kasstle said...

Wow! I love this guys work! Reminds me of your work a bit Seth. Super cool! Thank you for sharing! Inspiring work.

Parabolic Muse said...

I cant watch this video now, but The works are so interesting

Robert said...

Absolutely amazing, Seth! Wonderful, wonderful texture and color, here. You find--and share--the work of such incredible artists. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration!

layers said...

On one of my visits to NYC to see my son Matt... we went to galleries, and museums every day of my trip and I did see a show of Mark Bradford's colossal collages... up close they looked like small pieces of found papers.. but back further one could see large city maps... the size of these collages blew my mind. I agree with him.. we see all this trash as art.