Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Spotlight: Eric Saak

"Chaos - where brillant dreams are born. - ancient Chinese proverb. Yet in all it’s randomness there is an order to everything. Creating these images is my exploration of that idea." Such are the words of Eric Saak, an Oklahoma-based artist in the area of digital collage. Ten years before the recent publication of Somerset Digital Studio, Eric was already experimenting with this art medium.

I came across his work on the web and was struck by the energy in all his pieces. As I look at his collages, I see so many elements that speak to me...layers, texture, scratchy lines, text, hidden images, and more. His work has that natural, distressed, grungy feeling that I love. And the composition of his pieces seems intuitively just right to me.

According to Eric, "I am a perfectionist and to have things out of order is uncomfortable for me. I started using the computer as a canvas in 1998 because it was an unexplored medium for creating fine art at the time. I began working on a collection of digital paintings and collages to challenge myself to think outside of my own boundaries."

"I strive to create images that don’t look digital because I don’t like the idea that something created on the computer isn’t made by hand. The creative process is the same except that more traditional tools such as brushes and oils have been replaced by a mouse and a keyboard."

"Each piece I create has some significance to an event or moment in my life. While living in New York I began collecting the images for the series “Space Refined” which relate to experiences and places I visited. It also refers to my perspective of the city and the space it was built on, from one perspective you see it as a whole but as you look closer you can see the many layers that make up the city, much like the many layers in my paintings."

If you are interested in learning more about Eric, seeing additional images, or purchasing his work, he welcomes your email at ozias@aol.com

9 comments:

Gillian McMurray said...

Eric's work reminds me of yours. Lovely work. You can't help but admire his skill with the PC.

mcdc3s said...

I just love these. It reminds me of delicious Urban Decay.

Peggi Meyer Graminski said...

Thanks so much for sharing Erik's work. I find myself working mostly in digital collage these days too. It is wonderful to see Erik's work and read his words as he describes his art. Thanks again! xo

Lisa H said...

A refreshing addition to the World of Layers. Sounds like Eric was here before most of the current mouse wranglers.

Thanks for directing the spotlight Seth....

Lisa H.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful digital collage, thanks for introducing us to Eric's work! Check out digital/graphic artist Alicia Buelow when you can, I think there's a link to her on my site... her work is equally amazing... like you, I love this stuff, and the more realistically distressed, the better! xoxo

azirca said...

ooh these are wonderful, thanks for the Spotlight on Eric's work.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Very inspiring... A wonderful eye for composition and color,
thank you, gwen

Kristy C said...

Wow! What awesome composition in all his pieces! Thanks for posting his work! I will have to check out more of his stuff!

Elis Cooke said...

Thanks for spotlighting this artist... his work is very intriquing!