Tuesday, May 27, 2008

ABCs

In this previous post from my recent NYC art tour, I showed a series of photographs I took at ABC Carpet & Home. More than a place to shop, this is a place of endless visual inspiration. Check out their website to get a small taste of the experience. Their larger displays and smaller vignettes are constantly changing and sometimes they seem to manage the impossible by moving entire departments seemingly overnight. Several people commented and emailed about this particular picture from the post:


I wish I knew more about it. It was a large piece that I was unable to capture fully in a photograph because of the way it was displayed. The background was collaged with ephemera, sheet music, an old flower print, a vintage postcard, and real pressed flowers. It was overlayed with what-I-can-only-describe-as golden hued cracked glass. It was quite beautiful. And luckily I have a few other shots of details of the piece.


8 comments:

Ronda Palazzari said...

That piece is so beautiful. I love that crackle to it. Off to check out the website!

Anonymous said...

It REALLY is magnificent!

moi said...

really quite beautiful. i want to reach out and feel the display. so how big was it? fabulous!

Chris said...

My heavens, this is so amazing, interesting, complex! I really love it. Thanks for posting more pictures of it.

michelle ward said...

seth - next time get in the picture so we can get an idea of the scale (and so we can recognize you!) terrific photos! loving your billboard thing too.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the amber glass is an old mirror, turn of the century, with the silver peeling and discoloring in a good way...then they would have used it: Backwards.
Ya think?

Thanks for allowing us another taste of Your City.

Smiling, nodding and just a little green with envy. Maybe a light, apple green.

Lisa H.

Karen Cole said...

I have taken so many photos at ABC I think I should be hired. Just wish they'd get "real" on the pricing thing.

Penelope said...

Gorgeous! One of the previous Creative Directors at ABC home was a woman called Rebecca Purcell. She has a book called Interior Alchemy which is filled with this kind of luxurious decay- I highly recommend you get it! I cherish my copy.