Thursday, May 15, 2008

New York City Art Tour - Part 4

The Museum of Modern Art has several current exhibitions cutting across multiple media, including painting, drawing, photography, film, installation art, and so much more. Here are photos from a few pieces from the collections that inspired me:

Jack Whitten
Kappa, 1
Synthetic polymer paint on canvas










Tacita Dean
Crowhurst
Gouache on gelatin silver print







Rodney Graham
Rheinmetall/Victoria 8
Still image from 35mm silent film






Marcel Duchamp
Rotary Demisphere, 1925
Painted papier mache demisphere fitted on velvet-covered disk, copper collar with plexiglass dome, motor, pulley, metal stand







Olafur Eliasson
Ventilator
Suspended in the Museum's atrium, this electric fan continuously swings above head level in ever-changing arcs

7 comments:

Terry said...

Today is the first time I have checked in this week, so I had the pleasure of seeing parts 1 through 4 all in one sitting - together they make such a strong statement about seeing art, about what art is or can be, and about its richness in our lives. Its a wonderful tour.

I'm particularly fond of your choice to show just details of works in part 1 - we often miss these in the impact of an entire piece. And the faces of part 2 - its like reading souls. Did you choose to put the woman crying as the last image purposely?

Chris said...

That typewriter is just too cool. Love the fan, too. I would love to see these exhibits!! But your pictures are great.

I still want to sketch hands, inspired by your post about hands. Maybe this weekend.

Then, I have to find just the right kind of fan...

bockel24 said...

Wow, maybe part 4 is my favourite - wonderful work in all four parts though!

Steph said...

Wowww it seems your blog is going to be a must read for me! I'm adding you to my links !

Anonymous said...

What??!!!

C-R-O-W-H-U-R-S-T?

NOW I know what I'm going to name my castle in Scotland. This has been bugging me for years.

Thank you.

John M. Mora said...

I work around the corner from MOMA and was thrilled by Kappa.

Thanks for your visit and kind comments.

Excellent blog - will be back.

Regards.

Anonymous said...

Last year I saw an Eliasson exhibit at the SFMoma, including the swinging fan. Was very impressed with his work and also enjoyed the wide range of people, from kids to adults, exploring and experiencing his installations.