Monday, May 12, 2008

New York City Art Tour - Part 1

There are so many art-related experiences to be had in New York City. There are constantly changing exhibitions at the museums, shows of both new and old work of emerging and established artists at the galleries, street art everywhere you look, store window displays to rival what is in the galleries, and so much more. I thought it would be fun to take you on a tour of some select New York City art venues in a series of upcoming posts.

My first post focuses on a recent visit to Sotheby's, the auction house, and their exhibition for their upcoming contemporary art auction. These auction exhibitions are like taking an art class with the masters or walking through your own private museum. No matter the auction, the works are varied, inspired, exciting, and often exhibited publicly one time only. With so many pieces to see at this exhibition, I have chosen to post below just a few details from select artworks from some of my favorite artists:


John Chamberlain - detail












Robert Rauschenberg-detail








Christo - detail












Wang Qingsong- detail








Jean-Michel Basquiat - detail












Joseph Cornell - detail









Robert Rauschenberg-detail

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Seth! Whenever someone writes a post from NYC like this, I feel like I live on another planet- I love NY! Thanks for this! (PS- miss your posts!)

Gillian McMurray said...

There is some beautiful artwork here. Of course, the nature themed pieces are my favourites. Nice to see you back.

Chris said...

ah---Rauschenberg. sigh.

This art tour is inspiring. I'm glad you took time for yourself. It's funny that we were both gone for the same week! I'm trying to catch up on swaps and blogs, but the office has me nutty. I'm glad to see your latest entries; they are beautiful, as usual.

rivergardenstudio said...

Thank you for sharing these!!! I now have a chance to see inside a museum I may never visit! Oh and the art is magnificent! I will go over these again and again... Roxanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Seth! SO glad to see your latest posts... these snippets of your art tour #1 are awesome... I'm really glad I clicked on each of them to see them up close... the detail is amazing! I'd have a really hard time picking my fav, but I think I like the orange/red piece, the Rauschenberg. Loving this tour, thank you for sharing it with us! xoxo, K.