Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Plaster Studio


Plaster Studio: Mixed-Media Techniques for Painting, Casting and Carving by artists Judy Wise and Stephanie Lee has just been released by North Light Books and is now available for purchase.


Plaster Studio: Mixed-Media Techniques for Painting, Casting and Carving

This is a wonderful book that has opened my eyes to a whole new way to create textured art. The book includes a series of well-explained projects on painting, sculpting, casting, carving, and making books -- all using plaster and related materials. Also included throughout the book are gallery pieces created by other artists. I am happy to share that one of my artworks is in the book as well.


Stephanie and Judy have generously shared their personal thoughts for the readers of The Altered Page about the creation of their book and the process of working together as a team. 

Judy Wise...

"We started on this journey over a year ago and it seems like from the very beginning it was inevitable. Back then it was Stephanie the Plaster of Paris queen meets Judy the Joint Compound fanatic. The more we compared notes, the more we realized that we had a lot of experience between the two of us. More than that though was the friendship and desire to work together on a common goal. Whenever artists combine their vision, things get done. It has been nothing short of thrilling for me to team up with someone as talented and rewarding to be with as Stephanie. She could have easily written a plaster book on her own but I can't believe it would have been as much fun as holding the hand of a friend and riding this roller coaster together. Who knew that collaboration could be this much fun? It has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me; a real "bucket list" experience and I am savoring every sweet moment."

Stephanie Lee...

"This book has been a long time coming. More than a couple of years ago, I spoke with Tonia, my editor, about featuring the medium of plaster in a book. She was more than game for the idea knowing that there were few, if any, books that specialized in the medium. When I was exploring the medium myself, I spent countless hours in search of books that would inform me more about how I could use  plaster in my artwork. While I was having no luck finding such a book, I experimented on my own to see what I could figure out in the meantime. At one point I was whining to my husband about not being able to find ANY books on working with plaster. His [typical] response was, 'I guess you need to write it.'

Right away, I knew he was right. I had done so much research and trail with the medium that I had learned a lot about how it worked and how I could work it. I wanted the book I would write about plaster to be the very book I would have wanted to find on the shelves and so it wasn't something I rushed into. Getting the book going was a stop-start process for a long time. I didn't know what was missing until I had the idea to ask Judy if she would consider co-authoring the book with me. I admired her passion for understanding materials and her experience and wisdom with the creative process is second to none. Once she was on board, we hit the ground running and haven't looked back and I'm so glad. With a year or so behind us and the entire process of writing this book to be very recent history, I can honestly say that it has been the most rewarding creative collaboration for me to date.


I have learned so much about observing Judy's process, her approach, and her ways of being that have planted a deep and sincere trust that I can be totally and fully authentic in life. Of course in relation to my artwork, but also (and more importantly) in relation to me as a human being. She has been the best example of art-is-life for me and has reassured my belief that one can be totally and completely immersed in creative exploration and still be a well rounded human being. No one dispels the "troubled artist" persona myth like Judy. I want to be just like her when I grow up. :)


If you find yourself struggling to know how the urge to satiate your creative inklings fits into the day to day routine of life, I only have to say this: You cultivating your creativity in a way that enhances your life and your ability to be your most authentic self is a big deal. I mean that. When you listen to that little nudge that tells you to honor your creativity, even if you're not quite sure what that all means for you, you are giving a message to everyone around you that they can do the same. When we all honor our creative inklings, we honor our essence and therefore are able to be our highest, truest selves to the world and to those around us. And when we are our highest, truest selves, we vibrate with authenticity and THAT is the kind of energy that creatively finds ways to feed the hungry, clothes the naked, comfort the lonely, uplift the weary, and shine light in all the dark corners where dust is gathering. Just remember that if you get frustrated along the way of your creative journey."


Thanks Judy and Stephanie for sharing your thoughts with all of us!

14 comments:

lynne h said...

i am eagerly awaiting my copy. : )

Liz Hampton-Derivan Studio said...

Looks like a "must have".

Canace said...

So funny... I just got this book. I too feel that it's an introduction into so many new ways to approach a project. I love playing with plaster but now it will be even more fun!

Great job Stephanie and Judy!

jilly zaheer said...

Thanks Seth for yet another showcase of a "must have" book. Just loved reading Stephanie and Judy's thoughts about the process of writing the book together, their working with one another, and their thoughts on art in life. Big congrats on having one of your artworks included as well!!

Lynn Cohen said...

I'm excited for Stephanie and Judy's published work! I am sure it will get wide reception.
I had the honor of sitting in two classes of Judy's at Art and Soul last year and got to see that small but vibrant woman in action. Her soul shines even brighter than her amazingly bright art.

Karin Bartimole said...

I just bought this one, and love it!! I find it very inspiring and am excited to put some of the techniques and ideas that it has provoked to work :) Congratulations for your inclusion in such a great book!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to touch that stuff and experiment with it...plaster is something I haven't tried working with yet and I am so ready to dive into this world.....all because of Stephanie and Judy.
I also just need to say that both of them are amazing artists and women. Their words here just touched my heart, the way they so kindly and warmly wrote about each other, about being artists, collaborating, and being most fascinating..I cannot wait to get my hands on this book and in plaster. Thank you girls for writing it!
XOXOrly

ArtPropelled said...

It's on my wish list!

Lisa said...

looks like a great book!

Parabolic Muse said...

OMG, I love it that you shared their words and feelings!!
I've seen this book and it looks so rich and yummy. I started to eat part of it!

so.

I have to save up a bit more cash now.

ART*ticulation said...

Absolutely amazing the entire collaborative process! So very inspiring.

Can't wait to get my hands on this book, thank you!!!

I did a collaboration with 8 artists years ago and this has inspired me to embark on the journey once again.

Gillian McMurray said...

Looks like another book to add to my Amazon wishlist :o)

Anonymous said...

Seth I just love your blog...it feels so at home as a MMA...Thanks...Windy Kai...windykai.com

Anonymous said...

with the zine and your pulse behind me for the week, i can finally catch up! this book looks magnificent, seth! thank you so much for sharing -- i am definitely interested in getting this one as i've always wanted to play with plaster.