Monday, September 15, 2014

An Artist Book in Progress: part 1

Bookmaking is absolutely one of my most favorite art activities. I started many years ago making blank books using traditional binding methods and took classes at the Center for Book Arts in NYC. Over time, I have shifted my focus onto making artist books with pages filled with mixed media art. My bindings have become more wonky and non-traditional too. In other words...less precise and more fun.

I have recently started creating a new artist book and wanted to share my process and progress in a series of blog posts. Today, I bring you post #1.

The pages in this book are made from 90lb watercolor paper. Glued to both sides of each piece is a vintage French-English dictionary page. The text from the dictionary is used as a design element and I will be saving some of the images as well. Once dry, the pages were painted with layers of gesso, acrylic paint, and acrylic glazes.


For some of the pages, my next step was to add a variety of die cuts created from my stash of hand painted papers. For this book, I decided to use some of the newest dies from Spellbinders. They are so new that right now they are available for pre-order, with shipping beginning in October. To begin, I chose a group of dies that were highly graphic and modern.

Although I have been blogging about the die cutting process for nearly two years, artist friends still ask me about the process. So simply put, for those of you unfamiliar with die cutting, dies are metal templates with blades that allow you to cut, emboss, and stencil when run through a die cutting machine.



 
The leftover pieces from the Chevron Border die



Each of these die cuts were matched with a book page and adhered.


Stay tuned for post #2...

23 comments:

cHim-prints said...

Oh yeah. Like, like like.

Those papers are beautiful.

Neil said...

Gorgeous vibrant papers! I love those dies too and look forward to part 2

Sharon W. said...

"I feel a class coming on..." tra la la!!!!!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I really loved seeing your process. It was interesting to see how your handmade papers really showed off the dies. Showing the "negative" pieces of the chevron is a good reminder that all can be used--they remind me of the quilt pattern "Flying Geese". Thanks for sharing!

Maryanne said...

I love this, Seth! Those new dies are fantastic and I love the way you used them. Can't wait for post 2!

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

Gorgeous Seth! The cascade dots-oh my heart! I love circles. Really delicious combinations.

Karenliz Henderson said...

Love them! I can't wait to see the finished book. Those dies I love them.

Jo Murray said...

That's really cool. Love the process.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am really enjoying this tutorial, even though I'll never have any if those dies. The die cuts go very well with your hand painted papers. I'm like everyone else, and looking forward to the next step.

Carol said...

Yes, looking forward to the next episode, Seth! Gorgeous papers!

Jo said...

Crumbs, already excited at the prospect of post#2 and those new dies are fantastic. Jo.

Jackie PN said...

Everything everyone else said and more!! How exciting! Can't wait for post #2!! Your papers are Fab Seth!
")

Unknown said...

I've wanted to do an artist's book forever and have been afraid to try it. Perhaps now I'll be encouraged. I love what you have done thus far

Vickie said...

Love this and the die cuts. This is going to be fun!

elle said...

So glad you are doing this, Seth. My favourite thing to be doing and I am delighted! To die for!!!

Gina Pisello said...

I like the book so far. You are really good at using color, not something I have much experience at. Thanks for the look behind your creative curtain.

Unknown said...

Wow Seth, these are wonderful! I'm really looking forward to see this process. You're talking about 2 things that I would really like to try, book making and die cuts.

trish quilty said...

are these some of the new dies? they look really interesting and fun. I am excited to follow this.

VickiRossArt said...

So nice, Seth! Always good to see how you put the products to use!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Mouth-watering papers, and now I NEED to see the completed book! :D

Leslie said...

Looks like fun! And you know I'm a book-making fool!

Marit said...

You know I share your love for bookbinding and artist-books... your new project (and pages!) look wonderful Seth!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

So Cool...I like the bright colors!