Sunday, October 20, 2013

30/30: Deborah Gregg



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
"The voice inside my head is strong and loud. It is this persistent inner voice that takes center stage in my work.


My belief is that our silent thoughts are more similar than our spoken words. Those thoughts appear as writings, which are always embedded in my art.


It is not so much about the materials I use to make art, as it is about conveying a message for others to connect."


------------------------------------
The phrase 'it is all in the timing' could have been created for Deborah Gregg. About a week before I finalized the list of contributors to the book, Deborah and I connected online. I had not been familiar with her work but when I visited her website, I immediately knew that I wanted her in the book. Her creations are extremely dimensional and textured - both literally and figuratively. She incorporates text into much of her work, often in a very unique way. The surfaces that she creates always draw me in and elicit a need to further explore all the many small details of each piece.

Deborah has been a pleasure to work with and get to know online. She is an enthusiastic and passionate artist who offers inspiration to many. And once again, it is all in the timing. Just a few days before this post I had the chance to spend a few hours with Deborah and her husband Michael during their visit to NYC. We fell into conversation as if we all had known each other forever and I discovered that Deborah and I share many art-related things in common. Now I am even more excited that she is in the book!
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

42 comments:

Unknown said...

Her sculptures are as lovely as her paintings, real inspiration to see how she brings different layers of textures together.

Angie said...

'Still Waters' & 'Free' are my favs. I can see why you wanted her to be in the book, Seth!

Nan G said...

An amazing artist. Each piece requires a closer look/study.

elle said...

Words are so important. I luv to see them in art and especially when I have to come in close! :)

Jomama said...

Great work, beautiful color choices.

Darlene K Campbell said...

Whoa! Amazing pieces. Love that book. Her work definately pulls me in to see what stories are revealed when I look at them.

Hue and Me Art said...

Amazing work...love her style.

froebelsternchen said...

what cool stuff this is?! amazing!

ArtZest said...

I love her color choices.

Meme said...

The textures are fabulous! Amazing!

Maureen said...

Love the piece with the hands.

Patty H said...

I love the textures and depth of Deborah's work.

Jo Murray said...

An amazing talent...and beautiful too. Her pieces are so complex, with layers of meaning.

donna joy said...

Amazing-now to check out more-really enjoying the new-to-me artists!

Lynda said...

OK... it's just not fair for one artist to have painting and sculptural talents, LOL! Lots to explore on her site!

trish quilty said...

such incredible works of art by Deborah.!

Judy Shea said...

Another great choice for an artist in your book. Her work is amazing with a capital A.

Mrs Pretzel said...

<3.
That is all.

Bill said...

She must have a thing for hands like you do. Fantastic work!

Renata said...

Fine addition to the book.

Peg Englishman said...

I find Deborah's work a little haunting with mystery in it's layers.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hello Seth!
I have enjoyed very much your work. Fabulous !
Much succes in all you do.
Much inspiration from Brazil,
Maria Avila

Beverley Baird said...

Your work Deborah is incredible. So much texture and complexity!

Sandy said...

The emotional message draws me in! Would love to see all these layers and textures in person.

justval said...

Deborah's work is amazing, absolutely love the hands!

Deborah J Bein said...

so glad you found her! dbein@hvc.rr.com

Unknown said...

Very cool, dramatic stuff! Love it!

JLeigh Designs said...

I'm intrigued by Deborah's work and want to study it in more detail. I'm so glad you found her when you did, sometimes it truly is about the timing.

Blessedsue said...

Incredible art, so inspiring.

Thank you,
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you found Deborah to share her art with us. I was wowed when I viewed her 2012 solo show on her website.

Mickie said...

VERY interesting artwork, really enjoyed her blog.

nelda said...

Thanks for introducing us to another artist. I'm off to see her website now.

Irma said...

Deborah's sculptural pieces are simply and not so simply stunning!

Chris said...

Amazing work, need to see more!

Lura said...

all amazing just like you and the book wishing and hoping. xoxo


lurabrown@gmail.com

Anni Hunt said...

What a great idea Crystal, I love that you not only have written the book and included so many wonderful and eclectic artists, but that you now are using it as a jumping off point to highlight them and feature them in your blog!

Barbara I. said...

Deborah's "Hate" piece expresses a very powerful message. I enjoyed perusing her website and looking at her work. Thanks for introducing her art to me. bkisrael@gmail.com

Jorin said...

Fascinating sculptures.

Christine Kiehl said...

I should listen to my inner art voice more often and I might make cool artwork just like her! Thanks for sharing!

Gillian Pearce said...

I love using words in my art too. That book is exceptional.

Anonymous said...

i am so excited to be introduced to a new artist -- i would want her in my book too! she is amazing, i can tell. can't wait to see her contributions!