Monday, October 14, 2013

30/30: Nettie Edwards



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
"I describe myself as a Digital Scrapsmith because at heart, I'm a mixed media artist but I get impatient waiting for paint and glue to dry, so I combine live media with digital: layering hand made effects and textures with photographs.


For the past three years I've been doing this with my iPhone and iPad, which means that although I have a beautiful studio, I can also do arty activities whilst taking a bath.


You may consider this a little obsessive: I couldn't possibly comment..."


------------------------------------
Nettie and I first connected online back in early 2009, about the time she started blogging. She was one of the participants in my Disintegration Collaboration (DisCo). Nettie is a digital magician. I have been constantly amazed at her digital work. She is an extraordinary photographer who brings a gifted eye for design to all the images she creates. I have always felt that Nettie was ahead of her time, creating complex digital collages and digital images that portended the whole iPhoneography movement.

I admire Nettie for many reasons but most of all because she puts so much of herself into her work. Her photographs always carry a personal meaning and a sense of deep emotion. I get that sense that there is a story behind every single image and every choice. Her photos are complex and meaningful and often challenge the viewer to look deeply inside. I am happy to be able to say that the pieces she has contributed to the book are no exception.
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

44 comments:

Jo Murray said...

Nettie's almost surreal photos are breathtaking. They take you into another world. Good choice Seth.

Meg said...

Lovely B&W photos. Wow!

Angie said...

The sign in her amazing studio says it all 'The Power of the Imagination' creating wonderful images.

Peg Englishman said...

Nettie's work is haunting and ethereal. love black and white photography...my favorite.

elle said...

What an amazing artist!

Nan G said...

Nettie's photography is captivating.

Karenliz Henderson said...

A digital magician is right! Gorgeous, gorgeous!

Mrs Pretzel said...

LOVE Nettie's layers!!

Hue and Me Art said...

Love Nettie's work so much. Puts me in a peaceful place. Thanks Seth for including her.

Jan's Art and Musings said...

Paris, b/w photos ... what's not to love! Thank you, Seth, for introducing us to her.

stlbarb said...

So inspirational!!

Leslie said...

How fun! Thanks for introducing us!

Barbara Smith said...

Words fail me...well, almost. Mesmerizing, stunning, breathtaking, inspiring,

froebelsternchen said...

wonderful images are this !an amazing artist!

Carol said...

I am loving meeting these new artists and this beautiful work was just what I needed to see today. Thank you.

Don Madden said...

Nettie is truely a digital magician!

JLeigh Designs said...

Amazing work by Nettie. I feel encouraged that iphone photography can be recognized as real art.

Bill said...

I love seeing the work of photographers who enhance their photos digitally. The results can be amazing!

trish quilty said...

No wonder Nettie won the award..just wonderful!!

ronda wood said...

i frequently have a problem with digital, but she has put it to use in a great way combining the two. very interesting work.

dannie said...

I am always humbled and amazed by these artists. I also wish I could walk around in their minds for just an hour! The ceativity is rich and wonderful, always.

Hester said...

Like the description of a scrapsmith, very appropriate.

donna joy said...

stunning work-
always impressed with digital since i have no patience for it~

Darlene K Campbell said...

I can't even imagine how to get the results she does. Amazing photography.

lynne h said...

nettie!! so happy to see her here, seth. yes, a magician of the first order...

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm blown away with Nettie's photos especially the award-winning ones on her blog! I had no idea that mature trees could be sculpted to form hard edges like that. You found a "keeper" Seth.

Unknown said...

Oof x 10 mil!
Shockingly beautiful mobile phone photography!

Candice Thomas said...

Amazing work. I would love to take a workshop given by this artist.

Deborah J Bein said...

seeing through a different eye...always inspiring! dbein@hvc.rr.com

Chris said...

Interesting work!

Lynda said...

Nettie Edwards... an artist after my own heart... "impatient waiting for paint and glue to dry", digital art,
b&w photography... awesome...

Unknown said...

Visions through a different lence.

Christine Kiehl said...

Oh wow, Nettie's creations are fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing her and her creations with us!

Rebecca said...

Fabulous creations, I have not had the patience to mask, unmask, do & redo! I prefer to let the paint and glue dry--seeing digital artistry such as hers is tremendously inspiring.

Mickie said...

Interesting.

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

Digital Scrapsmith, love that title. I'd love to explore more of Nettie and her work. Amazing. Thank you so much, Seth.

Barbara Mason said...

Eerie and ethereal oh boy...too grand!

Angi in hana said...

someday i am going to do this, i just love what artists are doing with digital pics, my family laughs at me because i am so not a techy but i really think i could do this! love her work! aloha, angi in hana

Patty H said...

Thanks for the introduction to Nettie and her work. It's inspiring!

Renata said...

Nettie's photography is beautiful. Thank you for introducing her work to me.

Blessedsue said...

Incredible art, so inspiring.

Thank you,
Suzanne

musictoliveby08 on YouTube

Lura said...

just pure fun. love this. love you. xox thanks seth.

Jorin said...

I love her studio, it's fine for artwork, I think

Gillian Pearce said...

Enjoyed looking at some digital art for a change. It's not a medium I'm very familiar with.