Sunday, October 13, 2013

30/30: Juana Almaguer



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
"I must have paper. I love the feel of rice paper and pages from vintage books. Each sheet has a story that I want to tell.


And, I love the sound the pencil makes. It's meditative and comforting.


Drawing is like chicken tacos for me: I'm addicted."


------------------------------------
I cannot remember how Juana and I initially crossed paths online but I do remember being bowled over by her artwork when I first saw it. She has a special way of mixing media and styles, whether it be drawing, collage, and painting or abstract and figurative. I find her work to be quite introspective and extremely compelling. There is something extra special to me in her ability to create faces and bodies that both tell a story and elicit strong emotions.

I have been lucky enough to have met Juana twice, both times in Washington state. Earlier this year, she attended a two-day workshop that I gave on Whidbey Island. I felt privileged to see her creative process in person and to see how she integrated her own style seamlessly into the workshop project. She was a great addition to the workshop and every bit as wonderful as a person as she is as an artist.
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

42 comments:

Darlene K Campbell said...

I love paper too. (I'm addicted to the smell of paper) Juana certainly knows how to change paper into impressive art.

froebelsternchen said...

fabulous inspiring art!

Jo Murray said...

I'm quite besotted with Juana's work...and this is the first time I've seen it. You have a knack for finding great artists Seth.

pfstuff said...

Really beautiful-

Debbie said...

I love her work too!

queenb2u said...

Yum, paper. The floor of my studio knows my infatuation with the stuff...I completely understand, Juana. Such beautiful work. Another great find, Seth.

Sharon Barfoot said...

beautiful work

Maureen said...

Lovely!

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

oh the BEST of it all, the feeling, the sounds, the even thinking of doing!!!

trish quilty said...

what beautiful works in collage plus pencil or inks or both. Thank you Juana for sharing.

Unknown said...

Finding Balance - stunning!

Loved seeing the artwork that was worked on but in the end was not submitted for the book.

Mrs Pretzel said...

beautiful.

elle said...

Another treat!

Hester said...

Love the colors! Being addicted to paper is a good thing!

Hastypearl said...

Only an artists would say she loves paper and tacos in the same sentence:) must move to Texas:) thanks Seth...Laura

Bill said...

Juana's artwork is inspiring! It's very different than what many people are doing today.

Angie said...

Very interesting artist, elegant.

donna joy said...

Beautiful-and i think we all share a love of paper.

Anonymous said...

I have always loved paper. It holds endless possibilities for me when I see a sheet of any kind of paper, not just plain paper, but paper with text, images, tissue paper; all of it evokes potential art making. Juana's art is so expressive and has a gracefulness about it.

Peg Englishman said...

I like what Juana said about the sound of her pencil being meditative and comforting. I feel that way about my charcoal pencils.

Candice Thomas said...

Love the simplicity and strength of her lines. Juana's work is beautiful.

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

Falling in love with so many nw to me artist, including Juana. She's lovely!

Hue and Me Art said...

Beautiful work...inspiring.

stlbarb said...

I love her quote: "Drawing is like chicken tacos for me: I'm addicted."

Leslie said...

I love the way Juana uses scraps of paper in her work with the drawing, and how she knows just when to stop. I still fail on that one!

JLeigh Designs said...

I too am addicted to paper, like I'm addicted to Mexican food. Magazines, books, stacks of art papers fill my studio. I like the combination of the rough drawing style with the paper pieces.

Barbara Mason said...

Beautiful and meaningful style and use of paper so lovely...

Chris said...

She does uncommon things with the common pencil and paper. Lovely work.

Unknown said...

Lovely drawings

.Trudi Sissons said...

I am very attracted to her varied use of line within her work.

LisaS said...

Love her style.

bellefrogworks said...

I'm a bit backed up on email - just came across this post - love her style of drawing and mixing media. Her drawings are so unique and I am always intrigued by faces and how much personality is there.

Mickie said...

Another interesting artist...one can never have enough paper!

Teri said...

I love paper too. That is one reason why I just cannot get a Kindle and "read" from it. It kind of makes holding a book not "right". This is really different from what you usually show. Less is more I would say.

Angi in hana said...

ditto what jo murray said, i am in love and i just saw her work for the first time! mahalo seth again, aloha, angi in hana

Patty H said...

It's fascinating how much can be conveyed through line, and Juana does it beautifully.

Renata said...

Beautiful work. And I understand her love of paper!

Blessedsue said...

Incredible art, so inspiring.

Thank you,
Suzanne

musictoliveby08 on YouTube

Lura said...

each one is more interesting then the next. thanks seth for putting this together. xoxo

Barbara Smith said...

One of my favorites...I want to absorb every word, every stroke, every mark. Wow!

Jorin said...

Really beautiful work.

Gillian Pearce said...

Interesting work.