Friday, October 25, 2013

30/30: Jen Cushman



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
Jen Cushman


"I've always had this need to create. It runs so deep that I simply must do something creative every day. I need to make stuff in the same way I need to breathe, eat, hydrate and hug my children on a daily basis. My work is about the creative process, rather than the end by-product.


What I make is not as important as being in my studio and surrendering to the blissful moments where my full focus is on nothing but what my mind, heart and hands can generate.


This is where I fully realize my authentic self...the space where I am most vulnerable, yet completely safe. Whatever is inside of me that needs to come out does, and that is my art."


------------------------------------
As is so often the case, I don't remember when I first came across Jen and her work. But I do know that our first contact occurred in 2011 after I heard her interviewed by Rice Freeman-Zachery in a podcast. Since that time, we have been connected online and happily were able to spend time together in Arizona both in 2012 and 2013.

Jen is such a wonderful and genuine person and such a creative artist. Her mixed media based jewelry really resonates with me. Those of you who know her also know that she is extremely motivated and dedicated to art and our art community, and is a very hard worker. You definitely get the sense that Jen loves what she does. It shows in all her work!
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

40 comments:

Unknown said...

Really beautiful jewelry, tempting to wear one.

Nan G said...

Scrolled through her blog...OMG what amazing jewelry.

Jo Murray said...

Jen does killer jewellery. Great to see some in your book.

Sarah Anderson said...

I love how blog hops open you up to new artists. Love Jen's jewellery

Lois K said...

Such gorgeous, creative work. Would love to wear one!

Sojna said...

I attended an art retreat in the summer that Jen taught. She is a wonderful teacher and artist. She is so warm, fun, and creative. I can hardly wait to see the book! Love you Jen Cushman!
Sojna Widmer
Tatesis@aol.com

elle said...

There is definitely a sense of fun to Jenn's creations!

Jacqlyn said...

Beautiful!

Sojna said...

Jen,
I love your jewlery and Ice Resin! Teach us your different finishing chais and ribbons for the spotlight pieces too please! They are the icing on your lovely cakes! Adore your work!
Sojna Widmer
Tatesis@aol.com

Chris said...

Jen makes beautiful jewelry!

Bill said...

Her jewelry is quite unique. Very interesting to look at instead of all the beads so many people use.

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for leaving such great comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and see my work. Have a wonderful day. -- Jen

Hue and Me Art said...

So beautiful!!!

Hastypearl said...

Seth,
My iPad home screen is bulging with new blogs to follow, thanks to your book. Thanks for making people's dreams come true! And Have fun at the showing! ...Laura :)

Angi in hana said...

i have always loved her artwork and i have one of her books, its one of those i will pull out just for inspiration, thats the kind of book i love! aloha, angi in hana

Parabolic Muse said...

Beautiful! I've never seen these before.

trish quilty said...

I too heard that podcast and have followed Jen's work for years. very creative!

Patty H said...

Jen's work is beautiful.

Hester said...

unique pieces, lovely

Irma said...

Jen makes jewelry that's 100% my style. So far, amazing line up of artists in this book... Will be excited to read more in depth.

Peg Englishman said...

I agree with Jen.......creating is such a natural need like breathing! such pretty work :)

Lauralyn Bellamy said...

Jen, your voice came through with such pure passion, joy and commitment it just swept me up into your world!
The photos of your necklaces commanded my attention - especially the 3-button assemblages; and, I would like to imagine that they'd make their own music against my clavicle when I walk - a shimmery, teeth chattery rattle!¿ ;-)

donna joy said...

Love her jewelry-glad she's in the book!

huntla1 said...

Jen is an amazing artist and teacher. She teaches her classes with such kindness. I lover her assemblage and the story behind it.

Sandy said...

Jen articulates her passion for art so well. What a motivation for all of us who are striving to find our artistic voice.

Unknown said...

Love hew jewelry. I'd love to take a class with her!

Deborah J Bein said...

mixed media METAL! love it! dbein@hvc.rr.com

Barbara Mason said...

Jen is so prolific in her work and her words...I often think she is so lucky to have more than 24 hours in a day....

Jan said...

Jen's jewelry is so gorgeous. Thanks for having her participate.

jinxxxygirl said...

I love Jen's work and the wonderful interview she had with Rice! Hugs! deb

Mickie said...

Really like her bezels shown on her blog, she is very talented!

Darlene K Campbell said...

Will visit Jen's blog. The jewelry is very special. Original "Jen" pieces indeed.

Anonymous said...

Amazing work! I have never done anything with Ice Resin; oh no, not another medium! Yes. I think I will have to explore this as well.

Giggles said...

Gorgeous pieces! Love them, so unique!

Hugs Giggles

Lura said...

there she is our beautiful, talented jen cushman. yay! you are in that cute guy seth apters book, love him, love you. xoxo

Christine Kiehl said...

Although I do not create jewlery myself I really appreciated her stuff! What talent! Thank you for sharing!

Barbara I. said...

Jen's jewelry is amazing. She is SO creative. I enjoyed browsing through her blog.

Jorin said...

Very nice jewellery.

Laura S Reading said...

I love her revelation that sometimes it is the process, the action of being involved, that is more important than a specific outcome or product.

Gillian Pearce said...

Love the description of the process of Jen's art. Wish I could find that total absorption in my own work more often!