Saturday, October 12, 2013

30/30: Nathalie Nayer



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
"My journals are filled with contradictions. I see them as an intimate place where I can combine order and silliness. I get to be wild and organized at the same time.


I can paint an abstract background in just one minute and then spend hours on an industrial scene with one felt-tip pen.


I enjoy working with straight black lines next to a random collage or a shy photograph. That's what I like above all. The juxtaposition of messiness and order to form that ultimate combination that feels just like me."


------------------------------------
I first met Nathalie in 2012 at the CREATE mixed media art retreat in New Jersey. We connected right away at one of the opening events and then she took one of my workshops later in the week. I was immediately blown away by Nathalie's talent. She had several of her journals with her and I was totally transfixed by her unique style. Her seamless combination of order and chaos resonated with me instantly and completely.

I was inspired seeing her approach to art at the retreat. She was very focused and truly seemed to be able to completely lose herself in the process of painting and drawing. There was a depth and seriousness to her art that was quite compelling. I found Nathalie to be incredibly sincere and humble. Not only is she an accomplished artist but she is also a physician. Talk about working both sides of the brain.
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

52 comments:

Mary C. Nasser said...

Wonderful juxtaposition of order and chaos. Love the combination of both mark-making and detail.

Jo Murray said...

I find the concept of order and silliness very appealing...tho' silliness is really my cup of tea. Nathalie's work has more intellectual content than she gives it credit for.

Angie said...

Messiness and order! Good combination Nathalie.

Roberta Warshaw said...

It is always fascinating to me to see the work of someone who's career is so unrelated to art. Her drawing's are so meticulous and wonderful. I am impressed and astounded.

queenb2u said...

I agree. We need more nonsense in this world! You call that silliness? Looks to me like some very serious content. Thanks, Natalie for your amazing work.

Hastypearl said...

Nice to see her head down...loving what she does! Love it! Laura

elle said...

The contrast is like sweet and salt. Yum!

Caterina Giglio said...

amazing work!

Hue and Me Art said...

I agree with Jo Murray...very serious stuff! Love it

Kim Mailhot said...

Love the order vs chaos adventure in Natalie's work. And I so relate to the idea of losing yourself in the process....
Thanks for sharing this talented artist with us, Seth!

Bill said...

Silliness always works for me. Order - not so much.

Barbara Smith said...

What a wonderful new artist to discover! Being a Libra, I'm especially drawn to the right brain/left brain balance she brings to her work. Thank you both for the introduction...very inspiring!

jodi said...

So interesting. The precision of a surgeon mixed with wild disorder. Kind of like life. Thanks for the introduction!

Irma said...

I'm getting into art journaling, so thanks for the intro - I'll be looking up more of Nathalie's work.

donna joy said...

another new artist-thanks again! will have to check out more~

Angi in hana said...

Being a RN myself, i continue to be amazed at how many artists are also in healthcare, it must be a brain thing! Love her work i will have to check her out some more, all my fav artist i seem to connect to thru seth, mahalo! Aloha, angi in hana

Barbara I. said...

I went to Nathalie's website and I really love her art. She is inspiring. If she can find the time to create with her busy schedule, I have NO excuses. Thanks Seth for hosting this great introduction to your new book! So far it's been a lot of fun. bkisrael@gmail.com for the giveaway.

trish quilty said...

thanks for the introduction to Nathalie, her art and blog.

Unknown said...

Art Journals are where you can let it all hang out so to speak..playful, childlike, yearnings, dreams, color, whatever your heart desires..thanks for sharing!

Linda naprstek said...

Absolutely amazing

Darlene K Campbell said...

Wow, as a physician it'd be great to have her write prescriptions for art journaling. I definately am pulled towards the industrial scenes. Great!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said Seth, I find it all so true about Natalie, I love her.
XO, Orly

Barbara Mason said...

Life is full of juxtapositions - I too am an RN & Artist - Chaos and Order is a healthcare workers life and an artists one too as Natalie demonstrates very well!

froebelsternchen said...

great - another fabulous artist new to me!

mindy said...

CONTRADICTIONS in artzy journsals is mandatory, i think most of the time. YOU GO GIRL ! from: plumz soapz

Deborah J Bein said...

tantalizing! dbein@hvc.rr.com

Candice Thomas said...

I love Nathalie's work. Where does she find the time to fill her wonderful journals with such intriguing art? Thanks again Seth for sharing another wonderful artist with us.

Nan G said...

Thanks, Seth for sharing another fabulous artist with us!

John Eagan said...

Thanks for sharing your inspiring work.

Lisa H said...

..now THAT'S someone I'd love to know!

Lynda said...

"order and chaos' is the perfect visual tag for Nathalie's work... thanks for introducing me to her...

Glenda said...

Beautiful work!

Unknown said...

The beauty in your work is just endless!

The paintings - ridiculously beautiful.

Hester said...

Fantastic art!

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

This is inspiring. mater and antimatter, sweet and sour chaos and order unique thinking wonderful art.
susan s

Sandy said...

The mix of contradictions works so well! That's art!!

Anonymous said...

I am intrigued with the order/chaos thing. I live in chaos both emotionally and physically. I am a Libra on the cusp of Virgo, so I think that balance is something I strive for and never achieve. The journal photos are so unique! I love Nathalie's art.

Peg Englishman said...

I like Nathalie's work. Makes me want to create in my journal again.

stlbarb said...

Her collages really draw me in.

Jan's Art and Musings said...

Her journals pull me in. I'd love to see them in person!

Leslie said...

Gosh, her journals are so inviting! Chaos and order. Clearly, I must think more about the order.

Chris said...

I enjoy seeing simplicity with complexity. Really nice work!

Unknown said...

Journals from the big city

Rebecca said...

Amazing website--and amazing time management to create art and be in such a rigorous pursuit of of an advanced degree. Good Luck! Fabulous art, her art journals are inspiring--as is her life!

Mickie said...

She indeed uses both left and right sides of her brain, interesting juxtaposition of industrial and chaos...so true!

Teri said...

Wow...that's all I can say!

Patty H said...

Wow! To see Nathalie's images and random placement in her journal gives me hope that my own random approach to art is not a negative.

Renata said...

Inspirational all around.

Lura said...

just love her art. thanks seth xox

Jorin said...

I love the art journaling and it's nice, to see an artist from Belgium in your book.

Christine Kiehl said...

Wow, Nathalie creates some pretty cool stuff! Makes me want to hurry up home to start my own journal! Thanks for the great month!

Gillian Pearce said...

Love the different sizes of pages.