Thursday, October 10, 2013

30/30: Nava Waxman



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.

------------------------------------
"My awareness is expressed through my work in issues around the body, along with nature and abstract elements. My work explores symbolic mapping systems with the objective to express visual form to abstract thoughts and feelings, emphasizing sexual and spiritual energy.


Awareness of the body's form is explored through the creation of disparate parts, familiar yet strange, animate and inanimate, inviting recognition while remaining enigmatic and open. Body parts, objects, calligraphy, nature and biological entities are echoed, creating a distinction between things that are not yet clear and where boundaries between identities are fluid. I work with various medium such as drawing, painting, collage and calligraphy. The work is entirely based on my existence and personal perception about my identity as a woman.


I seek to release the female form from its stereotypical state, which is often limited due to preconceptions. In doing so, I transform the familiarity of the subject from its literal identification to a metaphorical, visual perception. I challenge myself to create a relationship between oppositional forces and how they transform the recognized image into an anthropomorphic object."

------------------------------------
In 2011 I spent an afternoon at an art exhibition in NYC called The Artist Project as part of my role as an Arts and Culture reporter for the website NearSay NY.  I saw the work of several artists there that had a big impact on me. Nava Waxman was one of those artists. In describing her work on the NearSay website, I wrote "Encaustic and mixed media materials on wood panels combine in these pieces to create highly detailed, dreamlike landscapes that capture both your eye and your imagination. The worlds that she creates invite you to step into them."

Nava's work was so memorable to me that when it came time to determine the artists that I wanted to invite to be a part of this book, she was definitely on the list. Other than having exchanged emails at the time of the review on NearSay, I had no contact with Nava. I was thrilled when she agreed to be part of the book. And even more thrilled when I saw the work that she contributed.
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

51 comments:

Jo Murray said...

Nava certainly has her own unique voice.

Nan G said...

Mesmerizing work.

ArtPropelled said...

I enjoyed browsing through Nava's website.Great to find new artists.

Angie said...

Loving 'Volare' oil, colage, found objects & wax on canvas

Irma said...

What a multifaceted artist! Been enjoying the 30 artists in 30 days...

Anonymous said...

I have gotten to know Nava on FB. She is continually exploring materials and herself always creating something fresh.

elle said...

How great to have such a multifaceted theme for ones work!

Linda naprstek said...

Very unique! Linda

Jan's Art and Musings said...

I really enjoyed viewing her art on her website. Thank you.

queenb2u said...

Amazing work, Nava...new... different to my thinking. I love getting those jolts of insight. Thanks, Seth.

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

BEAUTY unfolding before our very eyes! thank you!!!

Hue and Me Art said...

Nava's figurative work is so unique and beautiful. Love that she uses encaustic as a medium too.
Thanks for the intro Seth.

Meme said...

Great intro into Nava's art. I must read more!

Maureen said...

Fascinating work. Looking forward to learning more about Nava.

Elizabeth said...

Thought provoking.

jodi said...

I agree, very thought provoking. Also true I believe.

Ruth Armitage said...

Her work is so unusual and creative. Thanks for turning me on to it!

Patty H said...

Intriguing work.

Kathryn Dyche said...

I know what you mean about wanting to step into her work. Love her style and the thoughts her work provokes.

Mrs Pretzel said...

Nava's work is stunning. I can only imagine how much MORE there is to it in person. <3

Leslie said...

Wow! I think I keep writing that, but it's true. I love her work, and I wish I could see it in person. My nose is already just inches from my screen. I'm glad she agreed to be a part of your book too.

Meg said...

The black, negative space piece is intriguing; something I could never ever think of on my own. Wonderful!

Sharon said...

I am just starting my altered art journey and I'm totally blown away with Nava's art. So inspirational and ethereal, love it, Sharon xx

donna joy said...

Very unique artist~

Darcy Marshall said...

ohh stunning, I adore that tree/woman, just beautiful.

Bill said...

Very interesting. Maybe we men need to work on releasing the male form from its stereotypical state. That might just get us in more trouble, though. :O)

artlover said...

Very interesting work!

Barbara I. said...

I browsed around Nava's website. I was not familiar with her work. It's quite unique. I'm adding her to my "New Artists list". Thanks again for the 30/30! bkisrael@gmail.com

Sandy said...

Encaustic combined with all kinds of mixed media seems to lend itself to illuminating thought provoking concepts.

Candice Thomas said...

As noted above interesting and unique; definitely different in a very good way. I can't wait to see her contributions to your book. Another great choice, Seth!

Darlene K Campbell said...

I've seen her work before and yes I'd like to jump right into her paintings and walk along side her there. Love her!

Chris said...

Thought provoking work. Enjoying learning about artists I'm not familiar with! Time to Google.

Deborah J Bein said...

I want to see more of Nava Waxman! dbein@hvc.rr.com

Barbara Mason said...

Love this body of work...pun intended. Will be looking at her website...refreshingly different and well executed.

Lynda said...

Love Nava's quirky work...

Anonymous said...

It's great to see artists' work that I would not know of otherwise. Nava's work is amazing!

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

Nava is clearly a very talented and poetic artist. I especially love her sketch and watercolor pieces. Thanks for the lovely intro.

Angi in hana said...

Wow! She is amazing and gorgeous and very talented!tx for sharing and inspiring! aloha, angi in hana

Anonymous said...

Yes definitely compelling work from Nava. I love that you find beautiful words to describe your connection with each artist, and the way you see their world stemming from your own.
XO,
Orly

Sarinda said...

Stunning, moving and insightful. Thank you for sharing the work.

Hester said...

Definitely unique.

Unknown said...

Whoa! Very cool!

Peg Englishman said...

Nava's art draws me in.....really makes me think.

stlbarb said...

She's truly talented!

Unknown said...

Loved the contrast in her works.

Coleen said...

Wow, she is quite different. Refreshing.

Coleen in Ukrainet

Artful Kitchens said...

Great concept. Love it!

Mickie said...

Interesting and unique!

Lura said...

oh i love her. thank you seth. xoxo

Jorin said...

Very interesting work

Gillian Pearce said...

I enjoyed visiting her website. Thanks for the introduction.