Friday, October 11, 2013

30/30: Marina Rios



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
"I feel like I was made for this - my mind naturally comes up with endless possibilities for con-nections and combinations, my hands are dextrous and I love to sit all day. Like all artists, I feel a need to synthesize what I've experienced of the world into a sort of unified human artifact.


I take a scoopful of western history, mix in some tribal materials, grunge it up for character and sprinkle it with wonder and philosophy.


Then I run to share it with my friends yelling, Look what I made! Lookit, lookit! I made this! All by myself! Loooook!"


------------------------------------
When choosing artists to include within the book, I spent some time surfing the net in hopes of finding some participants who were totally new to me - and perhaps also new to many of the readers of the book. When I saw Marina's work, I knew that I hit the jackpot. Her approach to jewelry making taps into the very essence of mixed media. Her choice of materials really resonated with me and I keep finding elements in her work that inspire me to get into the studio and create.

I was so pleased by her response to my invitation, which was an unqualified yes! As you might be able to tell by her artist statement above, Marina is a very enthusiastic person and a passionate artist. She carries with her a sense of curiosity, discovery and adventure which absolutely is represented in her creations. It has been great to get to know her better via emails and I hope to one day get a chance to meet her in person.
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

 For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

51 comments:

Angie said...

What glorious jewelry!! Stunning.

Bill said...

Now that's some incredibly interesting work!

ArtPropelled said...

Ohhhhhh now I know the face behind fancifuldevices! I'm so pleased Marina will be in the book. I often pop over to her blog and love her work.

Roberta Warshaw said...

LOL. Marina! I love her blog. Even though I no longer make jewelry I still follow her blog. I love the way she writes! And her jewelry descriptions on her Etsy shop are not to be missed! She is one interesting person!

Linda naprstek said...

The jewelry is amazing, checking out her blog!

Glenda said...

Love this artist!

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

LOVE LOVE her work...thanks for posting!!!!!!!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

NICE Post, and jewelry!

queenb2u said...

Thrilling...I like her approach. Thanks, Seth

elle said...

Delightful

Vonnie said...

Love Marina Rios' work. So wabi-sabi

Leslie said...

Oh boy! Love her jewelry! Now it's off to figure out how I can get some.

Darlene K Campbell said...

Definately Seth I can see why her work calls to you. Some of those pieces in her creations are so interesting and unique. Love the combinations and her enthusiasm. We should all come running out of the studio yelling, "Look at what I made."

Chris said...

I really enjoy Marina's work. Little of this a little of that.

Hue and Me Art said...

Love love love her work...beautiful and interesting!!!

Susan Swan said...

I love Marina Rios' work and blog! She inspires me to try new things.

Unknown said...

I love her work, can't wait to see more!!

Nan G said...

Marina's work is so inspiring! Her jewelry is so different and SO fabulous.

Mrs Pretzel said...

I think I will have to convince Marina that she must be my new BFF.

Jo Murray said...

How wonderful that you found Marina. I'm a sucker for handmade 'funky' jewellery. I'll be watching her blog.

Aleta said...

oh my goodness - I am loving Marina and her art! thanks Seth!

donna joy said...

great jewelry-thanks for introducing her to us! will have to check out more of her work

trish quilty said...

what incredible work/art Marina creates. Thanks for introducing me to her...

Patty H said...

I'm a sucker for old and found objects. Love Marina's unbridled enthusiasm and eye.

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

What a delightful artist that is clearly appreciative of her deserved spotlight. Her jewelry is darling and so very fun. Love her!

Unknown said...

Miss Marina, I've been excitedly waiting for you to be shown here...in this spot...with this company...with this lovely host Seth! You know that I think you rock as I have told you more than once, I think. Well, I think you rock. I can't wait to buy more of your art!! *smiles* Norma

Sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

Marina's enthusiasm infuses her artwork!

Numinosity said...

Absolutely love Marina and her work and am thrilled that she chooses to incorporate some of my bits in some of her magnificent creations. When I'm crunched for time and have only one blog to read, hers is the one I can't miss. Her generosity in sharing her techniques and enthusiasm for "her makies" are over the top for which I am grateful and she helped to propell my own work as well.

Hastypearl said...

Of COURSE she said YES! Smart choice, Seth. Enthusiasm is attractive and fresh. Thanks for the intro. Heading out to look her up on internetland:) Laura

Deborah J Bein said...

found objects, my passion...
space to store, my nemesis.
dbein@hvc.rr.com

ev said...

Wow, I'm stunned by her work.

Anonymous said...

I am super wowed by Marina Rios' jewelry. I want some!!

Angi in hana said...

I have followed her for a couple years, she calls her blog followers, blogging bitches! I loved her for that but her work is so inspiring and like u seth she loves to share/teach, aloha, angi in hana

Barbara I. said...

Another winner! I just love Marina's jewelry. What a great find on your part. Thanks for sharing her with us, Seth! Still crossing my fingers to win a copy of your book. bkisrael@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work.
XO, Orly

froebelsternchen said...

incredible interesting artwork ! glorious jewelry!

Jan said...

Fabulous and fun jewelry!

Unknown said...

Pure love and joy - that what your work expresses.

I like your "eye" in photographing your work!

Hester said...

amazing jewelry! great sense of style.

Hester said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stlbarb said...

So creative and inspirational!!

Unknown said...

Looks very creative.

Rebecca said...

Enthusiasm is a wonderful thing and fuels creativity!

Mickie said...

I'm not into jewelry but this is certainly intriguing.

Lacelady said...

Wow, such a lot to see - it took me ages to find where to comment!

Mia A. said...

Somehow the placement of the photo ef the artist and the picture of the bracelets just underneath it makes the bracelets look like a pile of teeth..? Neat jewelry, still.

Lura said...

so unusual thanks seth for introducing me to fun and different. xoxo

Lura said...

love what you made, awesome

Jorin said...

These jewelry are nice.

Gillian Pearce said...

Interesting work!