Saturday, October 26, 2013

30/30: Leighanna Light



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
"I am a thingmaker. I create. I layer. I teach. I paint. I swim. I alter metal. I assemble.


I cry. I shop for old tools. I collect dead bees. I go junking. I collect rocks. I plant things. I pick things up off the ground & use them in my art.


I love music. I go to estate sales. I go for long bike rides. I travel. I take naps. I love what I do & I have fun doing it! I am a thingmaker."


------------------------------------
I love the 'quirk' that Leighanna brings to her art -- and I mean that as a big compliment. She describes herself as a thingmaker and I think that description fits perfectly. The things she creates are unique and special, and have personalities all their own. She is a wizard with creating patina on metal. Perhaps in another life she had been an alchemist, turning ordinary metal into treasured gold. That is exactly what she does with her art today.

Leighanna is a tireless teacher, generously sharing her techniques and talent with the many other artists who take her classes. I uniformly hear raves about her workshops. She and I have crossed paths on the teaching circuit and have had a chance to spend time together at a number of different art retreats. She couldn't be nicer and is such a genuine person. I am already looking forward to the next time we get a chance to hang.
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

42 comments:

Jo Murray said...

That's the best fun I've had for ages...looking through Lleighanna's 'things'. Happy to see more about her in your book.

Unknown said...

Oh real beauties, every and each one of them...

Angie said...

And what amazing things she makes!!

elle said...

I like The Thingmaker's list of what she does! ;)

Nan G said...

You have found the most interesting artists, Seth. I so look forward to your book. 'The Thingmaker' ...her things are so cool.

Jacqlyn said...

Adore her, want to study with her!

Unknown said...

This was pleasure to read this! Thank you :-)Beuatiful pieces of art, love them all!

Anonymous said...

Lovely series, lots of inspiration from various artists! :)

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Interesting wors, but few words. I guess the work speaks for itself!

Peg Englishman said...

such a raw beauty to her work......very interesting indeed :)

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

she is a think maker. she could of been a mage also :) wonderful creative life and art so full of passion
hugs
susan s

Hue and Me Art said...

It must be so hard for her to like...take a walk and not come home with a sack of goodies she found along the way. What an awesome artist!!!

froebelsternchen said...

what a great THINGMAKER she is?!

wow!

Leslie said...

I have been a fan of Leighanna's for a long time. In fact, the first class I ever took at an art retreat was with her. I think the second was too. We made things.

Mrs Pretzel said...

I love that. Thing Maker. Perfect.

Patty H said...

I love Leighanna's quirkyness and the fact that she's a fellow bee collector! And I thought I was the only one.

donna joy said...

I actually got to see some of her art "live" in a gallery in Madrid NM some yrs ago-very cool in person.

trish quilty said...

I love her description in talking about herself. Quite appropriate for the thibngs she creates. Wonderful.

Kris said...

I love her art!

jinxxxygirl said...

I think Leighanna's art is fascinating!! Wish my brain would work that way! Hugs! deb

Darlene K Campbell said...

Raw beauty in these things. I truly love her description of herself and how she creates. Very happy to meet her here.

Bill said...

I'm a quirk, but I have managed to tackle assemblage art yet. Her work is fascinating!

HeARTworks said...

A wizard thingmaker!!! Brilliant! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Angi in hana said...

i loooove her work! aloha, angi in hana

Anonymous said...

I love that Leighanna calls herself a "Thingmaker." Her quirkiness is delightful. I, too pick up things as I walk; could be anything from a broken earring to stuff leaning up against (or inside!) a dumpster. Making things is something that gives me great satisfaction.

Unknown said...

I took a class with Leighanna at last year's CREATE in NJ, and loved every minute. The art she had on display during class was amazing!

Mickie said...

A kindred spirit for sure!! All my pockets are loaded with treasures when I return home! I could get lost in her work!

Giggles said...

I love how this post is written with such whimsy! She truly seems like a thing maker!

Hugs Giggles

CreativSpirit said...

Love Love Love Leighanna's quirky "things". Amazing.

Hastypearl said...

Bookmarked!! I'm in love! From one magpie to another!
Rock On Vintage Parts:) would LOVE to take her class..Thanks Seth..Laura

Chris said...

Quirky work indeed, very fun!

Barbara Mason said...

Leighanna's work is a wonder...I love her Birds Gone Wild class and have it on my list to take at some point.

Lura said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have to find you leighanna and take a class or ten from you. love your art so much. xox

Supria Karmakar said...

Absolutely LOVE Leighanna's work...whimsical and fun...thanks for sharing her work with us...

Sandy said...

Creative sense of humor+imaginative art making!

Christine Kiehl said...

Very interesting and thought provoking artwork. I love how she titled herself a "thing" maker! I too believe that one cannot take oneself too seriously all the time! Love her work.

Renee said...

Love her work, would love to take a class with her!

Barbara I. said...

You can tell that Leighanna loves what she creates!

bkisrel@gmail.com

Jorin said...

Beautiful artwork

Laura S Reading said...

This is another artist I can relate to and want to learn more about!

Gillian Pearce said...

Interesting work. A very unique style.

Anonymous said...

i totally agree -- leighanna turns things into gold! i have been a long-time (albeit quiet) fan of her work. she is simply amazing, that amazing "thingmaker" lady!