Thursday, October 24, 2013

30/30: Supria Karmakar



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
"When the true essence of creativity flows from me, I believe it is my muse's creation which is being portrayed and birthed into the world.


My passion is mixed media works, in which I create using primarily encaustic medium, collage and/or altered books.


Each piece I create, I see as a container for the unfolding of a story with layers of narrative which serve to delight, provide meaningful insight and/or provide the viewer a place of comfort and connection whether it be joyous or melancholy."


------------------------------------
Supria and I have connected in many ways on the Internet over the last 5+ years. She was the driving force behind Inner Works, a collaborative altered book project among 6 artists, and participated in the online versions of The Pulse and the Disintegration Collaboration (DisCo). She is a wonderful artist, generous soul, and all around positive individual. We have yet to meet in person but I know that this is only a matter of time.

I have always been transfixed by Supria's work. She creates the most intricate, interactive and absolutely dazzling handmade and altered books. Her encaustic work is mesmerizing and she seems to be able to create living, breathing worlds within the layers of wax that she adds to the surface. She shares some of her techniques, along with new artwork, in the book.
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

50 comments:

Unknown said...

Very inspiring, looking at her works opens up a wide fantasy world. Thanks for sharing.

Angie said...

Fascinating art! I'd love to try encaustic.

Unknown said...

Luv the work created for the Elora Tarot Project - stunning!

Jo Murray said...

I'm a great lover of collage anytime...but put it with encaustic and it's FABULOUS. Great addition to this edition Seth.

Supria Karmakar said...

Seth,you have truly been an inspiration to me and I feel so blessed that our paths crossed online ....hard to believe it has been 5 years + .... I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of our 6 artist collaboration of Inner works and your Disintegration Project.... you always keep it fresh and inviting ...YES I can hardly wait until our paths cross in person, it is just a matter of time...with many blessings to you and your beautiful creative soul......it shines bright xo s

elle said...

The creative joy this artist expresses is very inspiring and well executed!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

An interesting body of work that really makes you think!

debbleberrypie said...

Wow! Stunning! I’m delighted to have found out about Suprias work. There are so many journeys one can go on looking at these images. Fabulous!

Lois K said...

Very intriguing work. I really like it!
Lois K

Wintergreen said...

Thanks so much from bringing my attention to so many fabulous artists. I adore Supria's work.

Kim Duhaime said...

Wonderful work here. It's inspiring to see so many great artists.

Mrs Pretzel said...

I have loved meeting each (new to me) artist that you have shared!!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Very cool poast!

froebelsternchen said...

what an amazing artist she is?! fantastic!

Hue and Me Art said...

Awesome work...love the way she puts it all together. Beautiful

Heidi Blankenship said...

Wow you have had a busy month on the blog! Love it!! So many fantastic and unique designs and amazing artists! Hugs♥

jodi said...

Mesmerizing is the perfect description!

Beth Fedigan said...

LOVE THE ENCAUSTIC WITH COLLAGE, ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!

Peg Englishman said...

Supria's layers and colors are stunning! love it :)

Curiouser Alice said...

Thank you for introducing me to Supria's work!

Chris said...

very interesting work!

trish quilty said...

love Supria exciting works; the vibrant colors in the collages and the encaustic. Thanks Seth.

Trace Willans said...

this book just gets better and better

Patty H said...

Beautiful work!

Angi in hana said...

i loooove her work seth! her combinations are inspiring, another good one, how lucky we are! aloha, angi in hana

Darlene K Campbell said...

I've packed my bags and I'm moving into one of her paintings!

Unknown said...

I am really enjoying getting a glimpse in to the artists you are showing. Beautiful work, love the colors!

Nan G said...

Supria's work is mesmerizing.

Anonymous said...

Supria's altered books are sumptuous and truly inspiring.

Sarah Anderson said...

ooooo, yummy!

Joy from My heart said...

I love all the self expression displayed by artists today-should we call this the era of "Individual Artism"!

Lynda said...

Love looking at Supria's work and thinking of the stories they tell...

Bill said...

I could sit for hours discovering the stories within her works. They are beautiful!

Mickie said...

One can get lost in her art and find beautiful and interesting visions! Love her work.

ev said...

Thrilled to see Supria included!

Anonymous said...

These beautifully detailed images , colors and composition are thrilling and exciting . It's wonderful to get acquainted with artists I've never seen before. Suprias work is another wonderful addition to your new book!
Iris Duarte

Parabolic Muse said...

Oh, I LOVE her work! Thanks for the intro.

Unknown said...

Her work is amazing!

CreativSpirit said...

Beautiful art, thanks for presenting these very talented artists for us to enjoy.

Hester said...

mesmerizing is a wonderful word for Supria's art.

huntla1 said...

Beautiful Encaustic work.

Barbara Mason said...

Many layers, love both the light and the dark...

HeARTworks said...

I would love to visit her studio!!! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Giggles said...

Beautiful pieces...I love that you can click on the photo of Supria's studio and feel like you are there!

Hugs Giggles

Unknown said...

Very intriguing - I need to follow up on her work!

Christine Kiehl said...

Very cool artwork! I wold like to learn encaustic work next! THanks for sharing!

Barbara I. said...

Wow, I'm loving Supria's mixed media art using encaustic. I was able to see an encaustic artist at work in Asheville, NC and I find the technique fascinating. Also, thanks for the tip about Inner Works, Seth. bkisrael@gmail.com

Jorin said...

Fantastic artwork, I love encaustic, but here in Germany, you don't find much of it.

Gillian Pearce said...

Love the multiple layers and depth of colour in this work.

Anonymous said...

oh how i love supria! i remember the very first time i happened upon her work which was probably about 7 years ago and i couldn't stop staring at it -- love, love, love! i hope amazon hurries up with this book 'cause i'm going to go crazy if i don't have it soon.