Saturday, October 19, 2013

30/30: Will Ashford



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
"I rescue, salvage and recycle other people's words.


Browsing through garage sales, street markets and used bookstores I search for interesting, preferably discarded old books. When I find a good candidate I explore every page. Like an archeologist I hunt for the words that speak to me with new meaning.


Intuitively, one word at a time, they turn into a kind of haiku or philosophical poetry that I can call my own. At some unpredictable point along the way, in my mind, the images start to invent themselves and I create the image of that invention. Though I strive to make each document visually engaging I find it is the words that I value most."


------------------------------------
It is not easy to find artists these days that have such a unique approach and signature style that you can recognize their work without their name attached. Will Ashford is one such artist. I had seen his work for many years on a wide variety of websites and have always been taken by the way in which he uses book pages to create an entirely new piece of art based on both words and images. This combination has always been compelling to me and I have been fascinated by his process since first seeing his work.

Will first connected with me in early 2012 after seeing my work on Etsy. I remember being so very appreciative that an artist of Will's caliber had noticed my art. We have been in touch since then and when creating the original list of artists I wanted in my book, Will's name was right at the top. Those of you out there who also like his work will be pleased to know that Will will be sharing something extra special for readers of the book.
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

57 comments:

layers said...

Here is another artist featured from your book... and you are right.. his collaged words are very recognizable as his own unique work.

Unknown said...

Yeah you are right, his word collages are very unique.

Angie said...

Fascinating work - and what a great web site! Off to browse some more.

amy of studio four corners said...

stellar work...had not seen Will's art before - thanks for the introduction!

Unknown said...

So clever, his use of words and the images, truly inspirational, luv it.

Check out "Methodology" then Interactive and/or Animated - FUN!

Unknown said...

very cool!

Hastypearl said...

3 cheers for the boys! You've heard of making words jump off of a page! 'Nuff said:) Laura

Anonymous said...

I really love Will Ashford's work. I have been following him for a while too.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

How clever and completely original!

elle said...

wow! Hooked me with the caption under his photo. Great!

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Wow, such a fascinating study in creativity. Endless, boundless, amazing.

Nan G said...

Love his collages.

Jo Murray said...

THANK YOU for introducing me to Will's work. To me there is nothing as engaging as text within an image. His method is unique and wonderfully thought out.

Sassy said...

Very unique - thanks for the into to Will!

Bill said...

I love the rain and umbrella collage!

donna joy said...

Nice to see something so unique. Now to check out more of his work!

Irma said...

Another stellar pick! Will's work is unique, and I especially love the umbrella piece!

Hester said...

My favorite so far. Words are great!

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

unique and mind catching I enjoyed this.

Tania said...

Indeed a talented artist with a unique and elegant spin on collage. I LOVE working with words. Will takes it to the top level. Thank you for the introduction.

queenb2u said...

Love this whole idea. Amazing artwork...the picture plus the thousand words. Thanks, Seth.

trish quilty said...

how wonderful this introduction to Will Ashford.Love the written word also.

Angi in hana said...

very interesting, almost a lost art with the way technology is, leave it to u to be surrounded by the most interesting artists! yx again for sharing, aloha, angi in hana

Hue and Me Art said...

I have always loved his work. So cool!

Lynda said...

Wow! Thanks for introducing me to his work.

Julie Shackson said...

Wonderful work! Will must have such a great deal of patience; the detail is incredible.

Unknown said...

I love Will's work. So unique!

Darlene K Campbell said...

I especially like the umbrella piece. Happy to have been introduced to him here.

froebelsternchen said...

fab artist!

ArtZest said...

I have followed his work for some time now. I found him in Pinterest and was hooked.

Patty H said...

Beautiful and unique.

Lynda said...

Words + images... what more could you ask for? Love Will's work... will be spending a lot of time on his website!

Barbara Mason said...

Another grand find -unknown to me Thank you Seth! Love his use of the page.

Anonymous said...

Amazing work... GREAT website. I am so impressed with the quality of the artwork.

Mrs Pretzel said...

My love of books combined with my love of art. This might be one of my new favorite artists.

Renata said...

Love love love his work.

Micki said...

Love words and books so I love his works. And although it is the words, I love how he presents his works. Like the Umbrella with the raindrops in your post. Absolutely love that.

Chris A. said...

I've been following Will for almost 63 years now and there is never a dull moment. Great work here Will.

Peg Englishman said...

Will's work is wonderful! I also have a connection with old books :) love to work with them...either the covers or pages.

Beverley Baird said...

Love the way Will creates such interesting pieces using old books!

suzieq23 said...

Wow his art is just fascinating. I would love to see his pieces up close and personal. What a talent he has. I would love to read your latest book. Thanks.

Sandy said...

What a creative inspiration! The man has a way with words.

Deborah J Bein said...

I was thrilled to see Will Ashford included in your book, I've been an avid fan! dbein@hvc.rr.com

JLeigh Designs said...

Will is a man after my own heart, or perhaps the other way around. I have always been fond of paper, the texture of handmade paper, the smell of old paper from books etc. I have started a pretty good collection of old books from garage sales. Some that I have found recently are some old geometry and mechanical engineering books from the 50's and 60's that have some very interesting diagrams and illustrations. Thanks for the great inspiration.

Blessedsue said...

Incredible art, so inspiring.

Thank you,
Suzanne

jacki long said...

So interesting not only seeing the different featured artist's work, but I love hearing the stories of your connection. Thanks Seth!

Chris said...

Wonderful work!

Lura said...

wow another fantastic artist, just keeps getting better and better. thanks set. xoxo

Lura said...

wow another fantastic artist, just keeps getting better and better. thanks seth. xoxo

Barbara I. said...

Will's "word collages" are absolutely spectacular. They are playful and fun. I really enjoyed looking at how he created the ones that you posted. His style is definitely unique. bkisrael@gmail.com

Art Matters said...

Love the way the book pages are given a new wonderful life.

Sarah Anderson said...

How funny, hadn't heard of Will's work but remember seeing his umbrella piece on pinterest yesterday! A serendipitous moment :)

Parabolic Muse said...

Great graphic and textured work. I'm going to check out more of his work. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Your blog is such a great source of discovering great artists!!! Thank you for this post - I admire this style...

Jorin said...

I love this umbrella thing.

Christine Kiehl said...

Ok, Out of all the artists shared thus far, his artwork is MY FAVORITE! Although I really enjoyed all of the other works of art, his is really neat! I love how he describes his work! THanks for sharing!

Gillian Pearce said...

I love the idea of recycling other people's words. I've recently been cutting up old sheet music with the intention of doing the same. I'm looking forward to spending some time exploring Will#s work.