Thursday, October 31, 2013

30/30: Thomas Ashman



30 artists...30 days. Spend the month of October with me at The Altered Page to meet the 30 spotlight artists in my book The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists. See them in action in their studios, read their 'quirky' bios written in their own words, see some of their art that led me to invite them to be a part of my book, and hear my story of what they each mean to me. Then click on over to their sites and see what they have to say about The Mixed-Media Artist.


------------------------------------
"On the edge of the crowd, but still part of it, I create in the penumbra, in the light and the darkness, needing both.


In my imagination, death is elegant and bizarre is charming. I seek to juxtapose extremes. I have a story I must tell, even if no one listens.



My art is in my mind. My tools are in my hands. My voice is in my creations."


------------------------------------
I have always admired the work of Thomas Ashman. I am a sucker for handmade books and am mesmerized by the patina of metal. Thomas often puts these two things together to create objects that seem to look like historic treasures to me. Seeing his creations on the vending table at many of the art retreats we both attend is always a highlight for me.

I also admire Thomas for marching to the beat of his own drummer. After all, the name of his website is  Black Sheep Artist Studio. We have had a chance to spend some time together in between workshops at several art retreats and I really enjoy that time. I have heard great things about his classes as well. I feel pretty certain that one of these days I will be sitting in the front row for his Dremel how-to workshop.
------------------------------------
GIVEAWAY

For every comment you leave in October on one of the 30/30 posts on my blog, you will have that many chances to win a signed copy of The Mixed Media Artist. I will be giving away a total of 3 copies. The more comments you leave, the more chances you have (but only 1 per post please). Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Winners will be announced in early November. 

43 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful handmade books, their bindings especially...

froebelsternchen said...

exclusive creations.. amazing artist!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

He's interesting, to say the least! Very sensitive use of metal. I'd be sitting beside you at that Dremel class.

Jo Murray said...

Thomas is obviously a master of yummy rusty stuff. I so enjoyed visiting his blog.

Angie said...

Fascinating! The 'Dollies De Los Muertos' would be perfect for today - Halloween.

Barbara I. said...

Wow, Thomas' handmade books are amazing. I am also a sucker for metal and handmade books AND rust! Thanks again for this great month of sharing artists with us. They say, "All good things must come to an end" but I don't really think that's true. I look forward to your book so that the good things (getting to know all these artists even better) can continue. Congrats on book # 2 being published and all the best to you, Seth. You deserve it! bkisrael@gmail.com

Nan G said...

Thomas' art is amazing! As has been this month of introduction to so many talented artists. Thank you, Seth Apter.

elle said...

Great finish, Seth. This has been a wonderfully enlightening month with new artists to inspire.

Unknown said...

Wow is not even the beginning of the word that describes this amazing Artist ! Love the story behind your Art ...

Irma said...

I'm familiar with his work and site, so glad he's included in the book as well. Top line-up of artists, Seth!

Sandy said...

Hope to see some of Thomas Ashman's work upclose someday! A perfect choice for the October finale page. Thank you for a month of well-chosen artist highlights!

Hue and Me Art said...

Love his books... And his love of life! Great addition Seth

Katherine Regier said...

Thomas' work speaks to me. Like him, I find images and thoughts of death and decay and decrepitude fascinating.

Leslie said...

I love Thomas' books too! I'm also a sucker for metal and books, rust and patinas -- so when they all work together, it's wonderful!

Thanks for sharing all of this talent!

Peg Englishman said...

so intricate.........and pure.....amazing!

Robert said...

I love Thomas' edgy aesthetic, and the loving detail, and rich patinas that embelish the surfaces of his work. Because of the creativity of his mind, and the dexterity of his hands, his voice comes through loud and clear!

Barbara Mason said...

Yes metal have long loved Thomas' work great choice for today!!!

Jorin said...

I love the patina of metals, too!
Jorin

Bill said...

Wow. Very cool art! I think handmade books are the most incredible pieces of art, especially if they are filled with more art inside.

Jean Rubman said...

I love Thomas' classes, jam packed with great, creative use of metal!! His work is amazing!

queenb2u said...

Amazing and fascinating. Love all that metaland rust. Thanks, Seth.

trish quilty said...

Boy does Thomas have something special to say. I loved seeing all his creations. What a voice!
THanks Seth for this month of joy....All the special artists I have gotten to know...pure enjoyment!

Chris said...

Deliciously corroded work! Very cool! Seth, thank you for featuring all these artists. Wonderful introductions to artists I will be following. Congrats again on your new book!

Hester said...

please keep telling your stories, I am listening.

Darlene K Campbell said...

Thomas, your studio/workshop looks amazing. Would love to be up close and watch you work on the edge and to the extreme of things. That metal book is wild. Adore it!
Hey, I have a dremel Seth but I can't do anything like this with it. ha ha

donna joy said...

so glad to see Thomas is in your book-i was lucky enough to take a class with him at artfest-and treasure the book I made~

Angi in hana said...

i have always been drawn to his work, alot of way cool talent! aloha, angi

Candice Thomas said...

Love Thomas' creations. I'm going to miss meeting a new artist everyday.

Deborah J Bein said...

and now METAL into the mix! hoorah! dbein@hvc.rr.com

Laura S Reading said...

What an interesting person and way of making art!

Unknown said...

Once I saw Leighanna's name, I new Thomas would soon follow. I'm a fan of his work, and I took classes with him at last year's CREATE, and another this year. I love how laid back he is.

Anonymous said...

Just amazing work. I loved the house-shaped book cat book on his Flickr page. I,too am going to miss "meeting" wonderful artists who I might not have found otherwise.

JLeigh Designs said...

How amazing - Im in love with the piece with the organic, non-perfect circles stacked upon one another.

Patty H said...

Love Thomas's metal work. There's something special going on here.

Christine Kiehl said...

Oh, so wizard of oz like in nature his figurines! Thank you for sharing his art with us!

Mickie said...

WOW, love his books and love all the metal!

Molly Vollmer said...

I loved the assemblage artists because I do that art too. I liked Deborah Gregg and Geoffrey Gorman, but my favorite is Thomas Ashman because I would love to have the inventory and talent he has.

nelda said...

Fabulous! Absolutely need that Demmel class some day.

Gillian Pearce said...

I really love those handmade books. Have been meaning to have a go at some but nothing quite as adventurous as those!

Kris said...

I am fascinated seeing artists at work in their spaces. Love the altered books. Very creative artist.

Renee said...

Fascinating artist and work!

Hastypearl said...

Well run race, Seth.
Great beginning and end...Laura

Anonymous said...

i've also always been drawn to thomas asman's work and lovelove the gorgeous patina on that book -- you can't beat rust AND a book in the same piece. it's so yummy! i had the pleasure of meeting him in passing a few years ago and cannot wait to see his work in your book. i know it's going to be stunning!