Monday, August 6, 2018

Baked Texture Skins

There are so many techniques that can be applied to my Baked Texture embossing powders from Emerald Creek and I am learning more and more everyday. Sometimes I find new approaches online, shared by another artist using the powders. Sometimes it is through my own experimentation.

Today, while attempting an idea that was an epic fail, I ended up creating Baked Texture skins. So simple and so cool. Just follow the recipe below.


Start with a non-stick, teflon craft mat. Pretty sure that 99% of you peeps have one (or more). My mat is taped to a moveable glass board. 


Swipe an embossing pad across a section of the pad in the size that you want your skin. If you are using this technique for layering, it works best with a translucent embossing powder. I chose Vintage Beeswax



Pour the powder over the sticky section and tap off the excess. Because my mat is taped to the glass board, it is easy for me to tip the whole contraption. Of course you are going to pour the excess back into the jar for next time. Melt the powder with a heat tool and resist the urge to touch the hot, molten skin.


In order to get the skin fully made, repeat these steps two more times. So once cool, swipe the skin again with your embossing pad. Add more Vintage Beeswax and tap off the excess. Heat it and watch the magic happen. Doing this three times gives you a sturdy skin.


Peel off and voila. Notice that there are several holes and a bit of a feathering at the end. I think this makes the skin more natural but you can always add extra powder and melt again if you prefer a smoother surface.


I chose to print out a photo of a book page I recently made and sized it to match the dimensions of the skin.


Laying the skin over the piece adds dimension, texture, shadowing, depth and a bespoke, vintage touch.


I attached the skin to the paper using brads - and sandwiched thin beads in between for added interest. I also stamped the word Ethereal, from my new Impression Obsession Journal Jargon 5 stamp set, and slipped it under the skin for an extra detail. I adhered this to a slice of watercolor paper that was painted and embossed with my Patina Oxide Baked Texture.

Ethereal
(sold. thank you)

22 comments:

Catherine Etter, The Mindful Spirit said...

This is sooooooooooo beyond cool, as always!!!!!!! Rather than building your layers directly atop the page is this so you may insert the beads and other found materials between them? Oh my good golly, the possibilities...... thank you most masterful soul!!!!!!!!

MvM-design said...

Wow this looks amazing!

A Pink said...

Such a fab technique that definitely adds so much more to your book page . Love the finished piece . Gonna have to give this a go for sure . Thanks for sharing Seth x

Anthony said...

Seth your a true inspiration to me and look forward to more and more .

Nancy said...

Great idea and art work. I'm wondering if you could stamp into the skin while it's still warm for more texture?

PaperArtsy said...

Ohhh this looks fab!!’ Way to go Seth!

Redanne said...

Such a great technique Seth, it looks fabulous!

Jennalee Anderson said...

Mind blown!!!! So love this idea and will definitely have to try it out!! Thanks for sharing!!!

PocketSize said...

:O That is so fantastic!!!!

Amanda said...

Oooh how fabulous!
Love
Amanda x

ann barnes said...

I love seeing this here today, mainly because I just love your art, but also in a selfish way because I accidentally ended up with a “layer” of vintage beeswax recently and thought, hmmmm but in my haste to attach it, I ended up cracking it into pieces (now mind you, those pieces were set aside for something else) but I would love some advice about how you poked the holes into it successfully. These layers add so much interest and I think that raising it up with the beads was such a fantastic idea.

Anonymous said...

This looks awesome. And way faster then then the resin sheets I would make.

SewPaperPaint said...

What a great effect! Truly inspiring Seth, thank you!

Unknown said...

brilliant - can't wait to try this.

myrepeatingpatterns.wordpress.com said...

Wow, Ilove that! I can't wait to try that technique!

Mary L Hockett Thoma said...

51 WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LAYER...

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

It's fun isn't it! I too accidentally made embossed skins Seth. I'm into beads so I sometimes add a little sprinkle for a different look.

Fliss said...

Wow! This really does look amazing Seth. Love the vintage effect it gives to the underlayer and the textures are just stunning.
Thanks so much for sharing this fab technique.
Fliss x

Foxglove said...

Oh wow, this is such a creative technique! I love the effect it gives!

sarascloset said...

Brilliant effect, Seth! I really love it on your completed artwork. Thank you for sharing your great technique! Hugs!

flyingdutchbird said...

Lush! I'll have to give this a go and maybe sprinkle in a bit of deep see in places, as it is a bit translucent as well, might look cool, worth an experiment I think :)

Lisa Hoel said...

ohhhhhh, so cool!!!! That has some extra awesome sauce added! =D