Thursday, February 2, 2012

In the BAG


Last Saturday I attended the opening reception of Collaborations at the Brooklyn Artists Gym.  The exhibition focused on works created jointly by two or more artists. BAG is a fascinating place. It is is Gowanus, a very urban part of Brooklyn, surrounded by industrial and commercial buildings. There is a growing subculture of artists to be found there too.


BAG is many things. In addition to the gallery space, there are also studios for artists. And of course, many photo ops in the studio space as well...



Work Table Surface

There were nine collaborative projects exhibited in the show. The art was very varied...mixed media, installation art, collage, quilting, photography and book art. It shouldn't have all blended together but it really did.


Two of my collaborations were part of the show: Self Contained, my project with Vivian Bonder and Stephanie McAtee, and Winds of Change, my collaboration with Roxanne Evans Stout.


All of the pieces were displayed on the same shelf and people seemed genuinely excited to be able to touch the art and flip through the pages of the books.


During the exhibition, all the artists in attendance got a chance to say a few words about their projects and how they came to be. Listening to all the stories was the best part of the night for me. My collaborations were the only ones in the exhibition created by artists who had never met. People seemed fascinated by that and asked a lot of questions - such as how we had come to connect, how did the mailings work, and how was it possible to trust people that had never met with your artwork. That last questions really got me thinking about the beauty of our community, as the thought to distrust Roxanne, Viv and Steph had never once crossed my mind.

In all, the exhibition has been a wonderful experience and it was great to be able to share these collaborative artworks with a new audience. Collaborations closes February 6th, so any locals who might want to see the show should hop on the subway quickly. And don't forget to 'step lively and watch the closing doors.'

16 comments:

Rebeca Trevino said...

what fun! . . . i lived in NYC in the late 80's . . . always something amazing going on. . . . congrats Seth!

ArtPropelled said...

Sounds like a great show Seth. Congratulations!

Yes the beauty of our community indeed. It's amazing the friendships (and bonds of trust) that are formed without ever having to meet.

Kathryn Dyche said...

Looks like a neat place and a great show. It's funny that trust came up as one of the questions . . . I think that I've never collaborated with anyone on a piece of work because I don't trust myself. I'd be worried about messing it up!

lyle said...

loved seeing a bit of your show!that question of trust is one we as artists dont think of often. I bet it had you thinking on into the nite!

quinncreative said...

The books are wonderful, but the table--the used, spattered, soaked-in-creativity worktable is fabulous!

Lynn Cohen said...

How wonderful to get these peeks at the art there. Tell that guy to move over please so I can see more of that quilt! ;-) How many fabric pieces were there I wonder?
Love the books too.

Unfortunately trust can be an issue. I've joined in in three round robin art books circulating round the world where we each added a page and sent it on to the next artist. Two books came home packed with amazing art. One never did, one artist just stopped the flow and sits with almost all the books and for over a year or more now does not send them on. Very frustrating and hurtful/disappointing. I dare say I have given up hope that I shall ever see that book I started and others added to again.
Hopefully, that is the exception to the rule.

I'm glad your show was such a success. Sounded so exciting to have all that interaction with the attendees.

Jen said...

I think there are some online artists who have had issues with their art not being returned so are now gunshy about swapping or collaborating.

Personally, all the good has far outweighed the bad. And yes, I've had art go missing into the ether.

Part of life, in my not so humble opinion. ;)

ART*ticulation said...

You have so many art exhibits in NY I'm a little jealous :>)Sometimes it's more fun never meeting other artists. Sounds like a grand time Seth Congrats!!!

bohemiannie! art said...

I think you were right to trust Roxanne, Viv and Steph and I congratulate you all.

Caterina Giglio said...

I agree.... those bonds of trust are formed without benefit of a physical meeting... how wonderful that the act of creation brings like minds together .... perfectly

Fallingladies said...

Wow, that sounds so great, wish i was closer so i could see it in person!

Cynthia Monica said...

What a great show! Thanks for sharing it....congrats on your collaboration...just fascinating!

rivergardenstudio said...

Seth, you have described this opening so beautifully. The issue of trust is an important one that I haven't had to think of with you. Love the friendship we have built and agree with Robyn about the "bonds of trust" that can be built with fellow artists without really "meeting.
I also love your photographs of the workspaces, especially the surface of the work table.
roxanne

Anonymous said...

Looks like a cool show. In a sense, artist are like dog-owners. Hey! A friend. Simple and easy.

Carole Reid said...

Cool show and space! I think it's important for people to be allowed to touch the art. They enjoy it more and get a better understanding of what art is.

Parabolic Muse said...

this brought tears to my eyes

am i finally allergic to the internet?