Sunday, February 12, 2012

Master Class 10: Portrait of an Artist


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File and Techniques & Tools were the first two projects posted and links to all 23 posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The third project, Master Class, continues now...


Participants were asked : 'If you could take a class from one artist from anytime in history, including the present, who would it be and why?'

(Images and links have been added by The Altered Page)
-------------------------------------------------------------
The artists highlighted in this post were selected for a variety of reasons but what unites them here is there unique perspectives on portraiture.

Lisa Sarsfield chose Vincent Van Gogh. "He was a bit of a rebel and I want to sit beneath night skies with him and paint starry nights or to sit sketch trees with him. I admire the passion which drove him to create in hard times and in the shadow of disapproval." Cathy Minerva noted that "despite his frequent bouts of mental illness, which seemed to frustrate and hinder him creatively, he continued to paint. Imagine what might have been if he had access to modern medicine to help combat his mental ailments." theresa mARTin "would love to hang out with Van Gogh. I've read many of his letters and I think it would be interesting to watch him work. Reading his letters made me feel like I was standing alongside him many times." Lynn Cohen adds "I love his use of color and bold brush strokes; and like him I think I am at least a little bit crazy!" Marianne Konvalinka pretty much sums it up when she says "The color, the movement, the passion."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Crystal Neubauer said that "it may sound cliche but I would want to learn to paint under the tutelage of Picasso. He is most famous for his later works and co-founding the cubist movement, but he was an immensely gifted painter, from his childhood mastering of painting in the realist style and evolving into his later works."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Keron Lee (aka The Colourguru) chose Edgar Degas. "I love that he worked in various media as new technology and ideas developed. I had always thought of Degas as the "ballet guy" until I quite serendipitously went to an exhibition of his work. At the first painting, I stood, mouth agape, wooed, faint hearted and a dribbling convert. His bronze sculptures have an ethereal, almost surreal sense about them, yet are a perfect form. His printmaking and photography (pioneering for the time) was instructive and intuitive. He frequently reworked the printed images with pastel. He copied the masters long into his career and practised all the time. Sounds like my kind of man!"

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sarah Fishburn chose Marc Chagall. "Truthfully, mainly just to spend time with him, and peripherally, to absorb all I could from him regarding color."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Marie Otero selected Duy Huynh adding "I love his poetic and emotional style and enjoy the clever humor he injects into his work."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Terry Rafferty selected Rembrandt "because whenever I see his work it takes my breath away."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Marion Bocklemann said "It would be Max Ernst. I'd love to see how he made his collages from 19th century imagery, how he painted those wonders of fantasy, and even how he made his sculptures. I'm sure that we modern collage artists could learn a lot from him, and I think he must have been a great teacher because I love his sense of humour.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Rhomany said "I would love to take a coloured pencil class with Raymond Briggs, the artist behind The Snowman. I love his use of coloured pencil. As a colour blind child, I was really able to appreciate the way he indicated textures in his illustrations. He brings an amazing amount of depth and feeling to his characters that few other artists manage to achieve."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Gillian McMurray chose Albrecht Durer "because he had a great eye for detail in the natural world and I could learn a lot about his observational skills."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Maude May picked Mary Cassatt. "The gentle, intimate beauty of the domestic scenes and portraits she painted bring me great joy. She was a very accomplished painter during a time when women weren't at the forefront of the Paris Impressionist scene. Miss Cassatt followed her own path."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Julie Prichard selected Jean-Michel Basquiat. "I dig Basquiat. I like his controversy. I like the story of his super-stardom, but I admire his simplicity. I think that would be a great meeting for sure. I don't think I would be looking for a class as much as I would a discussion about art instead." Adrienne "Dree" Berry adds "I just love how he creates. Those gigantic canvas, the childlike drawings, the language only he knew. He just seemed so raw, untainted. I long for such freedom in creating. I would love to just sit back on a couch and watch him." Loryn Spangler-Jones agrees. "I love his story. I love his work. Like myself he had no formal training, instead played and painted intuitively. This I believe personally to be the purest form of Creation."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Alicia Caudle chose Egon Schiele "because I have admired his unique representation of the human figure for as long as I can remember. I absolutely adore the "perfectly imperfect" lines and often distorted proportions of his paintings. In addition to taking a class from him to learn his skills, I imagine he would be quite an interesting character to converse with as well."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Lani Gerity said "if I were a fairy godmother and could grant me this wish, I'd love to sit with Maggie Taylor while she's working and just see how she puts it all together. I love her work. There are so many layers, such richness..."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Next 'Master Class' will be held on Sunday, February 19th.

14 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

I enjoyed my Sunday morning fix again and have added a few more artists to my list of mentors. Picasso has always been high on my list but would love to have watched Basquiat work.

Marit said...

I just sucked up my weekly dose of inspiration. What a great way to start the day! It's becoming a 'ritual' to visit you on Sundaymornings Seth... I often take a lot of inspiration with me into the day. Have a nice weekend!

Gillian McMurray said...

I've been loving the Master Class entries. It's like a beautiful rainbow of art on a Sunday morning. Great choices Seth :o)

Gaby Bee said...

I LOVE, LOVE Maggie Taylor's creations! I wish that I could do such digital things.

Julie Prichard said...

Did I mention how much I love reading these recaps?

Maureen said...

How delightful to see the choice of Briggs! I don't think we often given book illustrators their due; they can be so inspirational.

Jo Murray said...

Oh boy! What a fab lot of artists Seth, both the choosers and the choosees(? new word). Keep 'em coming.

theresa martin said...

Thanks Seth and Congrats on the book!

layers said...

This is a fun post.. such variety of Master painters.. a mini art history class.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I would never have thought of putting all these disparate artists together, but your brilliant mind saw the connection. Once you explained it, I saw it, too. Lovely chance to visit the artists and their mentors this (and every) week.

Portrait Painting said...

This is great post,such variety of Master painters.Thank you sharing...

Shayla said...

fantastic! This is a great series. I loved the expression "dribbling convert." Isn't that the truth!

Jill Zaheer said...

What a great class this was! Think it's even better than being in just one class of an artist. Got to meet so many artists I never heard of- not sure if that means I don't get out much or that there are so many varied and talented artists out there- all favorites of your readers. PS. I think I had VIP seating- no one in front of me to block my view!!

froebelsternchen said...

oh my gosh... exclusice!