Tuesday, February 7, 2012

News of the Day


The Create Mixed Media Retreat website has now gone live and includes a description of all the workshops and instructors from the event. Registration begins on February 16th. I will be teaching three workshops: A Box of Dreams, Text Tiles, and Mixed Media Dossier. I am excited to teach but am also looking forward to spending quality time with so many people from the mixed media community.

-------------------------------------------

Sarah Fishburn and Angela Cartwright have just released the newest issue of Pasticcio Quartz - with a twist. After completing 13 issues of their QUality ART Zine, they have created Pasticcio Panoply. Unlike their previous zines, which include a wide variety of content related to art and creativity, the Panoply issue focuses on art and only art. Never before seen artwork from nearly 40 artists is presented in full page images. 

One of my newest artworks, Held, is featured in the issue and is now available for purchase in my Etsy Shop.

Sold. Thank you!
-------------------------------------------
I just read that one of my all-time favorite artists, Antoni Tapies, has died. This desciption, from the notice in the New York Times, sheds light on why he was such an inspiration to me:

"a largely self-taught Spanish abstract painter whose seductive, tactile surfaces, often scratched with mysterious graffiti-like marks, made use of unconventional materials like marble dust, ground chalk, sand and earth."

I have been lucky to have been able to see many of his paintings in person in both New York and in Barcelona. But I am even luckier to be the owner of one of his prints, which I will continue to treasure and look to for inspiration.


-------------------------------------------

My eNewsletter for February hits the virtual newsstand very soon. If you would like one in your inbox, be sure to sign up for my mailing list. You can see my first issue from January here.

-------------------------------------------

I can finally say that my book, The Pulse of Mixed Media: Secrets and Passions of 100 Artists Revealed, will be released next month. It has been a long wait - from developing the idea, signing the contract, holding an open call, writing the book, and editing the book - until now...but the wait most definitely has been worth it.

And in what will be a periodic feature on my blog, the first of many little known facts about The Pulse of Mixed Media: despite the subtitle, you will actually find the secrets and passions of more than 130 artists in the book.

6 comments:

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

It has been a long wait, but it's exciting that in less than a month, you will be holding a copy in your hands. Mine's on pre-order, so hopefully it will arrive soon!

I lived in Barcelona at one point in my life. It's an interesting city, artistically speaking.

Maureen said...

Congratulations on all the many good things that are coming your way. Am looking forward to your book talk in our area.

Lynn Cohen said...

I love the names of your classes. Text Tiles! REally!!! Love it!

Sorry about the great artist loss.
Nice you have a print to remember him by.

Excited with you about the release of your book. When did the idea process start? A year or more in the making?
Mazol Tov!!!! To you and to all 130 artists within! I for one, can't wait to see it. I guess I better go order it now! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Some great news! So exciting!!! Busy busy busy....

Parabolic Muse said...

I WANT THAT PIECE!!

How do I get it? I can pay $10.35 cents a month. Can I have it? HUH?

In other news, I don't remember getting your January newsletter. I must go see. I went to sign up now and it says I'm already signed up. So I know it's somewhere.

Your classes are going to be so groovy, I can't stand it.

Hagit said...

Hello Seth, I signed up for the newsletter last month, and received confirmation, but haven't received the newsletter. I'll try to sign up again, but do you know what could have happened? Many thanks, Hagit