Sunday, February 19, 2012

Master Class 11: Those in the Now


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File and Techniques & Tools were the first two projects posted and links to all 23 posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The third project, Master Class, continues now...


Participants were asked : 'If you could take a class from one artist from anytime in history, including the present, who would it be and why?'

(Images and links have been added by The Altered Page)
---------------------------------------------
While many survey participants chose old master artists, a good number chose artists hard at work today. These artists in the know have become artists in the now.

Denise Aumick said "One day I stumbled upon images of Gerhard Richter's abstract paintings while perusing a museum's holiday gift catalogue. Richter's abstracts are filled with so many textures and layers they encourage me to look deeper and look longer, enveloping me in their depths. Who better to take a class from than the person whose work has had a direct influence on my own?



---------------------------------------------
Ange selected Yves Leterme "for his striking contrast of blue pigment on gesso but mostly for his apparent ease in constructing gestuals of alphabets; they seem to arise effortlessly out of each piece."



---------------------------------------------
Kim Palmer decided to "go with someone from the present that I really admire and say Elfi Cella. Her ability to combine both her skills in miniature painting,


along with found objects and fabrics


and create the stunning work and textures she does, leaves me absolutely hooked every time. Where do I sign up?"
---------------------------------------------
Lise Hoffman selected Flora Bowley. "I love her approach of art and spirituality. I love her colors and art technique."



---------------------------------------------
Cathie Parreco chose Gregory Euclide. "I admire the many layers in his work and would like to know what adhesives and materials in uses. Does he start with a plan or does he just 'wing it.' He has a large library of You Tube videos documenting his work. It adds value for his audience and is a fine example of how an artist can use the web to market their work."


---------------------------------------------
Jude said "I'm going with Gregory Colbert. He is one artist whose work I look at and think 'what more can an artist say?' I'd like to learn more about his creative process."



---------------------------------------------
Tracie Lyn Huskamp selected Sarah Lugg. "It would be heaven to study under Sarah Lugg. Although I admire many artists and many different styles, her nature inspired, ethereal works imbued with the most rich and dreamy colors, often highlighted with a splash of metallic, leaves me completely mesmerized. It is her complex collage arrangements, married with natural objects that has me staring at and studying her work for hours."




The Objects Of My Affection
---------------------------------------------
Dayna J. Collins said "It has to be Pat Wheeler, who I have been fortunate enough to take classes from on three occasions. Any chance I get to learn from Pat is time well spent. She not only teaches great art techniques, but also how to live in this world."



---------------------------------------------
Next 'Master Class' will be held on Saturday, February 25th.

9 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had forgotten how much I love Sarah Lugg and her wonderful tags. In fact, I have two of her books. And I am impressed with what I'm reading at Tracy Lyn Huskamp's blog, too. Lovely in the now!

iHanna said...

I would sign up for all of these classes if I could. Such eye candy and inspiration in one post. Thanks!

Gwen Buchanan said...

very inspiring!!

Maureen said...

Several wonderful new finds here for me. Great edition.

Jo Murray said...

Quite a few artists unfamiliar to me, and well worth investigating. Thanks Seth.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Good stuff here, Seth, and lots of it!

Carol said...

How wonderful to discover some new "now" artists and be reminded of others. Great inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! As a graphic design studdent I spend an awful lot of time studying the old masters and really have the desire to learn about current masters. I love that you are doing this!

rivergardenstudio said...

I love all these artists, and the way you have presented all their works too. And your last article in Your Blog, Your Way, really hit home. A blog post IS like a celebration, and you capture that feeling so wonderfully.
roxanne