Monday, December 8, 2014

My Love of Layers

My Love of Layers

I have often been asked to describe my artistic style - something that I have a challenging time doing. In thinking about that question, I typically look for commonalities in my work, regardless of the medium. In doing so, I have noted that I favor certain color palettes, aim to create surface texture, often utilize text as both a design element and method of communicating my message, and integrate found objects into many of my pieces. But, the aspect of my work that truly stands out to me as a defining characteristic is my love of layers.

These lines are the start of a longer guest post on the Make Art in L.A. blog. Please head over to read my thoughts on why I find layers so fascinating and integral to my work -- and of course to see more images of layers.

Make Art in L.A. is a teaching venue in Los Angeles, California run by Barbara Buckles. I will be teaching two workshop there in January.

I will be teaching 52 Card Pickup -- one of my favorites -- on Saturday 1/17/15.

On Sunday 1/18/15 I am debuting a new workshop called Picture Windows.

You can find info about both workshops here. Hope to see some of you in January!

15 comments:

PocketSize said...

I love layers, too, and you manage to layer so well!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Good Luck with the workshops!
They sound FuN!

Teresa Abajo said...

OOoh - 52 Card Pickup....they're in for a real treat!

Jo Murray said...

Layers add intrigue to a work...you can find new things all the time.

Parabolic Muse said...

That windows workshop looks fascinating. I bet it's so rewarding to have that finished project!

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

LA...so near and yet so far.....to SF....the workshops sounds wonderful and the layers too....

Jen Worden said...

You are the Master of Layers, Sir and yet almost minimalist when creating in 3D. Interesting, that!

Rebeca Trevino said...

layers are what add depth and dimension. i love the too.

ps: i'm on my way over to read your guest post on the Make Art in L.A.

Jackie PN said...

I love your layers Seth!!
The new workshop looks intriguing...can't wait to hear and see more! ")

elle said...

A layers! And I luv that stack of 52! I'm off to read the long article. :)

Gaby Bee said...

Good luck with the workshops, Seth! I wish I could be there too!

Maryanne said...

I keep learning more and more about creating layers when I take your classes. I love them but was never sure of how to go about creating them.

Kay Wallace said...

Great art and great art-icle, Seth! I love layering and building texture as I go along in the creative process. By the way, that new class looks amazing! Bring it to Massachusetts! ;-)

rivergardenstudio said...

Seth, you did such a great job describing your style. I know it is really hard to do, but you captured the words that describes your magic. I tried to leave a comment on the Make Art in LA but sadly could not. Your workshops look amazing!!
roxanne

~*~Patty S said...

Great words to describe your style Seth...lots of wonderful layers.
How nice to have CA to look forward to in January for you AND your lucky students!
oxo