Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Mix and Match I

When I design new products, I am always thinking about how they can be used to create layers and  dimension - which to me are hallmarks of mixed media. I also try to develop my collections so that they work with each other. As new lines are released, I want you to be able to integrate them into the supplies you already own.

With that in mind, my new collection with PaperArtsy was designed and engineered to work seamlessly with some of my stencils previously released by StencilGirl Products. There two companies were on board and I cannot thank them enough for coming from a place where different companies can actually support each other rather than compete as adversaries. Good people!

These are my new stamps and Wood Chips from PaperArtsy. You can easily see how they work together...


Here are my Insider and Outsider stencil from StencilGirl.


Both collections. Same sizes. Same shapes: square, circle, star, tag and bar. The layers you can create by intermixing all of these products is exponential.

With that in mind, I asked several of my favorite artists to play with all of these products and make magic. Each created two projects and have shared their step-by-step process in tutorials on their blogs. Today I am highlighted the amazing work of Martice Smith II. Join me tomorrow to see what Gwen Lafleur made.


Martice created this wall hanging that served the dual purpose of not only looking amazing but also concealing a secret.


As you can see in the next photo, part of the hanging is hinged - revealing what is at first glance concealed to the eye. I absolutely love art that is interactive because it invites the viewer to become one with the art.


And look at this detail shot of the piece in progress...oh...the texture! And you can see how the Wood Chip and both the Insider and Outsider circle stencils layer so well together.


Martice also created collaged tiles using my stamps, stencils and Wood Chips. You can easily see in this picture how all the shapes work well together.


 I am loving the layers she used for these tiles: wood, paper, paint, wood stain, modeling paste. stamps, stencils and Wood Chips.


And there is that texture again...


You can head over to this post on StencilGirl Talk to see many more images and a complete tutorial. Head over to my online shop to purchase the stencils, stamps and Wood Chips that were used in these artworks. They are available now.

5 comments:

Helen said...

love these wood chips, so many ideas for them! great samples too by Martice.

Nikki Acton said...

Gorgeous texture and design from martice

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

Great selection of work. Love the layers and designs. A definite WOW!

elle said...

Luv the versatility.

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

!!! Exciting !!!
Right now I'm working on my set of Mixed Media Card Play from your Small Works of Art video, so much fun!